What to do if I can feel an episode coming?

I don’t really know how to explain this. But I can feel a psychotic episode coming. I’m seeing patterns in everything, having trouble sleeping, having lots of disorganized thinking. I had some delusional thinking yesterday that I believed for a while.

I see my psychiatrist Thursday. But besides that, is there anything else I can do?

2 Likes

Do you have any numbers to call ? If not maybe you should get yourself to hospital while you still have insight.

3 Likes

I see my psychiatrist Thursday, and if he wants to admit me to the hospital then I’ll go. I want to handle this outpatient if I can.

3 Likes

When my world starts closing in on me, getting outdoors can really help to redirect me back into a reasonable state of mind.

Staying inside my house seems to escalate my thinking in a downword spiral.
Even going into my own backyard helps to distract me, there’s always a bug to chase, weeds to pull or a spot on the lawn that needs to be dug up to investigate…perhaps a nugget of gold in it? …hey I’m in Northern California- it’s possible!

Whatever you can do to distract and redirect yourself until you can see your pdoc helps,
and just may save your life…?

Hope you can find something to help you, and be sure to go to your pdoc’s appt,
Good luck until then.

4 Likes

@falcon09 have you tried sitting by yourself and just watching the thoughts as they bubble up into your conscious mind? Without physically reacting to them?

1 Like

I just tried that for a bit. It was hard though

1 Like

Yes. I can fully agree with that. But you practice it more and maintain your faith in yourself, you become better at it. Nobody who practices something the first few times, get it done easy right away. Even folks just trying meditation early on wont get a quiet mind right away.
As a personal experience, I found that meditation during the initial signs of psychosis starting led to keeping me in control of my mind and body. But before that I would just practice meditation during normal times. The big shift happened when I decided to do it during a strong psychosis. The experience was REALLY hard and frightening. But I let the fear exist within me without reacting to it, and now it works every time i feel the onset of an episode. The only remaining physical symptom I have is uncontrollable gut constrictions.

4 Likes

@falcon09

1. Write lists for in case you lose insight.
    -Facts about yourself (name, age, location)
    -What to do in a crisis
    -Daily tasks (hygiene, cleaning, checking in)
    -Commitments (I will no hurt myself, others)

2. Let loved ones know you might lose insight. Tell them now how they can help you in those moments. (Whether or not you want to be taken to the hospital, supervision, a place to stay)

3. Clean and organize everything to prepare for days when you won’t be able to.

4. Cancel plans now, so you aren’t just not showing up to things and worrying people.

8 Likes

Silentprayer meditation by Jesse Lee Peterson is awesome!

1 Like

Great advice! 151515

2 Likes

Well, I’m not really religious but I cannot honestly deny the calming effect of prayer on the mind.

2 Likes

The basix instructions defined in the talk are almost identical to what I practice and find works. What is called god in this, I label as my subconscious.

1 Like

Keep taking medication if they give u prn take that too. Try to stay occupied puzzles tv music art craft even talking to people about anything that dosent make u fixate on delusions and make sure you are getting enough sleep also deep breathing and avoiding stressful/triggering situations.

3 Likes

LouiseG,

I just wanted to say that you have VERY helpful, positive posts. When I see a post from you, I read it over and over.

You’re making a difference! :hugs:

6 Likes

@JustTrish
Your words are so kind! I receive a lot of significant support from you and everyone here. I could only hope that by grace I could be a help, as well.

3 Likes

I’d ask someone to make sure I get to my appointment on Thursday, just in case you lose insight

3 Likes

See? There you go, again… being wonderful.
:hugs:

4 Likes

If I feel episode coming on I do either one of two things - I write in my journal or talk about it to and hug my husband. When I heard voices today he comforted me and rubbed my back till I couldn’t hear Alien anymore :blush:

5 Likes

Update: I saw my psychiatrist and got my AP changed to Risperdal. Ever since then I’ve felt the psychosis get steadily better, it’s not gone but I can manage now, or at least manage it better than I did before.

Edit; my psychiatrist said I was exhibiting “classic schizophrenia symptoms” but said it was good my thought processes seemed intact. I have very mild thought disorder so that’s good to hear.

1 Like

I had moderate to severe thought disorder for 33 years. Now, it is under control with Risperdal Consta, Geodon and Seroquel.