What is your estimate, how far out is a cure for schizophrenia?

Hi @zeno, good morning. Surrendering, I know it’s tough. Don’t you are finding any clue. Its better to live with hope.

4 Likes

I am basing my guess on the timeline for several things: the human brain project’s modeling of the connectome, which should become possible around 2025 (it needs exascale minimum power) and more, maybe around 2040 to get down to protein level models. Plus the completion of a brain gene and cell atlas. Then there is the decreasing expense of genome sequencing, and the study of proteomics, which will make early diagnosis and better predictions of which medicines will work for whom (personalized medicine) possible.

On the outlying edge of the tech today, we have the development of stem cells with the markers that tell the immune system it is “foreign” removed, so anyone will be able to use them. That is projected to occur in the next 5 years. And the ski cap style brain scan using light being developed by Openwater, which could make brain scans really cheap, and also possibly be used as a therapeutic itself. That’s supposed to be released to developers in the next 2 years or less, might be available to the public in 5.

Also an outlying possibility, DARPA is working on AI informed devices for the treatment of mood disorders. DARPA stuff is high risk, high reward, and usually has 5 year timelines.

Gene therapy right now is mostly useful in creating models to find better medicines. But it is likely to become safer in the next 20-30 years as new methods are developed.

So that’s why I say 20-30 years.

I assume it won’t ever happen. I have prepared to take meds for the rest of our lives.

Maybe 50 years time they will have figured out what is going wrong in the cluster of illnesses. It’s probably not just one illness which makes a cure hard.

It’s not like you can give penicillin for sz

I give it 20 years. I would say it’ll b something to do with repairing brain damage like stem cell therapy, psilocybin or lsd. (I am not saying to take hallucinogens, please don’t ) I am just saying they may find out something like that restores brain function in the future.

I believe the effects of schizophrenia after a few years are irreversible. I think psychosis damages the brain irreparably. There may never be a pill or treatment that directly cures the disease but maybe there will be some drug that in a round-about way compensates for the damage and loss of functioning in the brain due to schizophrenia and strengthens and builds up other undamaged parts of the brain and makes us more functional or “overshadows” (or “overwhelms”) our other symptoms and makes us more sane, than crazy. There may also be some drugs that not only prevent it in the future but maybe for people in their first one or two years of psychosis they could have it reversed before the disease becomes permanent.

Who knows? I don’t think anyone can really guarantee a cure but hey, they don’t give up on trying to find a cure for cancer or heart disease or AIDS so why should they give up on trying to cure schizophrenia?

1 Like

In about one hour

It’s out there we just can’t afford it…I know how they do.

1 Like

What @77nick77 said. From what the doctors I’ve talked to have said and my own experiences, I believe we have suffered mild brain damage. You generally don’t come back from that all the way. Some, yeah, but not ALL the way. Will they learn to prevent it in the next 50 years? I truly believe so, but I doubt they’ll be able to do much for those already afflicted.

Doctors and scientists have absolutely zero understanding about sz and psychosis. Whatever is said about the disease is anybodys guess.

2 Likes

It is truly a enigmatic diasese

2 Likes

@GentleSoul is right…!!! Nothing is known in grass root level…!!!

1 Like

It is because the brain is enigmatic, once we more clearly understand how the brain works we may fix schizophrenia.

3 Likes

A lot of schizophrenia can be controlled with therapy, DBT or CBT. Schizophrenia can go into remission. Some people succeed in tapering off of antipsychotics and staying off of them, some arent. Some times thats an issue of timing. They should study people in remission and monitor their brainwaves or do a brainscan or SOMETHING to see what allows schizophrenia to leave, even if its only for a month. These antipsychotics make life boring. I dont have an estimate, 1900 youd go to a mental hospital for life, 1950, its thorazine, 2000, its risperdal, 2018 all we have is vraylar, latuda i guess, invega, and that one research chemical ITI007 or lumaperotone or whatever. I want a surgery like they have for brain aneurysms, or some electrode therapy something. Drugs are annoying.

Today, that is generally true. But you see people increasingly able to recover from stroke and TBI with intensive therapy. The preliminary research in stem cells is fairly promising.

If they’re able to have success in reversing brain damage in other types of disease and injury, even in later life, there’s no reason to think it can’t happen for schizophrenia.

Right now they can’t, but there’s no evidence that will always be the case, and they are working diligently on ways to repair all kinds of brain injury and disease.

People will walk back the “it’s impossible” attitude after they start curing other “incurable” brain disorders.

2 Likes

Hopefully soon! Then peace of mind.

High quality studies show CBT has little positive effect on psychosis. Do a search for Keith Laws and CBT.

I agree.
Therapy does very little for psychotic disorders.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t say that. Some aspects of it are understood. You can see EKG’s of the difference between someones brain with schizophrenia and a “normal” brain.

Probably couldcure it soon if it wasn’t for pharmaceutical companies wanting lifetime customers and improper resources that aren’t spent on psychologists

Yeah, if my doc said he had “absolutely no idea” I wouldn’t go to him.

1 Like