What is difference between odd belief and delusions?

İ was searching about schizotypal personality disorder and i found that these patient doesn t suffer delusions they suffer rather than odd beliefs.is there any difference between odd belief and delusions.if so what are they?

1 Like

About $150 an hour at a psychiatrists office.

6 Likes

I tick most of the boxes for this disorder. From the wikipedia article.

Inappropriate or constricted affect (the individual appears cold and aloof);

Yes! My wife describes me as really cold blooded. (So cold blooded that it is almost cute, like a zombie comedy).

Behaviour or appearance that is odd, eccentric or peculiar;

Yes! I wear women’s leggings. I am in the man in neon green.

Poor rapport with others and a tendency to withdraw socially;

Alas, yes. People think I am a weirdo. I think that people (normies) are weirdos. I don’t speak to anyone these days.

Odd beliefs or magical thinking, influencing behavior and inconsistent with subcultural norms;

Yes! I have odd beliefs. I think that world is a Truman Show (but I can’t quite see it) that I am more than one person, that I am am a fantasy, that I am sin, etc.

Suspiciousness or paranoid ideas;

Yes! I think that someone is about to or plotting to murder me.

Obsessive ruminations without inner resistance;

I am not sure what this means but I think lots.
I am not sure what this means but I think a lot.

Unusual perceptual experiences including somatosensory (bodily) or other illusions, depersonalization or derealization;

I feel derealised but I have not had really unusual stuff for the past 30 years.

Vague, circumstantial, metaphorical, over-elaborate or stereotyped thinking, manifested by odd speech or in other ways, without gross incoherence;

Hmm. Others might thinks so.

Occasional transient quasi-psychotic episodes with intense illusions, auditory or other hallucinations and delusion-like ideas, usually occurring without external provocation.

Again, when I was 22 (I am now 55) I had a psychotic episode.

As a consequence of this diagnosis I feel a bit better about being here, on these forums.

Please forgive me.

Tim

3 Likes

Wouldn’t your odd beliefs qualify as delusions?

1 Like

İ m not sure.they not explain schizotypal personality disorder description as delusion rather than prefer odd beliefs.i think thats why there is difference between odd beliefs and delusions

What is the difference?

Should you feel up to sharing your odd beliefs I am interested.

İ feel patterns on my will.my will interest and hobby etc changing with times especially with politic era.i think we are subconciously govern with these factors(sociocultural structure ,politic era political leaders,etc)according to our social class.i mean since the sociocultural structure diminish with lockdown i start to brush my teeth regularly and shower more and i m less paranoid and has less anxiety.i just can not figure out why these difference occur.is that delusion or odd beliefs?

ha, I sure hope all that isn’t in my pdocs files.

my first pdoc brain stormed with me over my beliefs,
kinda sad to come up empty with a professional. ha.
He retired, never saw him again.

It was a struggle dealing with psychosis for me, especially when my circumstances included two insurance companies tried to drive me over the edge, trying to break me so that I would give up and they didn’t have to pay

I tried CBT therapy on several occasions, but my neuropsych would always point out, that it was not an unreasonable believe, they really were out to get me. It made it hard to find my way back to “normal”.

Now with them out of my life, I feel so much better

Delusions are held with more conviction?

I didnt have conviction

Odd belief is usually what society considers odd as a whole. For example superstitions.

Delusions are things that aren’t true but you think they are.

1 Like

İ think pdocs using both term for same phenomenon

Yes thats make sense

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.