What does this mean?

My dad just told he hates me, but loves me because I’m his child …

My brain doesnt know how to process this …

Sounds like he’s confused :confused:

1 Like

probably don’t take his word to heart, right now, he sound unstable in his emotion
maybe love hate relationship? I think it’s possible to feel love and hate one person at the same time
but that’s just my opinion, I’m sorry he said that to you :cold_sweat:

1 Like

He probably doesn’t hate you but he just doesn’t know how to help you. Maybe sometimes he feels like you’re a burden on his emotional needs. (I’m not saying you are, I’m just stating what I’ve heard some family members admit to during group therapy.) They sometimes say things out of anger at the moment, but not necessarily how they feel overall. The family members who generally say things like this are the ones helping loved ones who are not med compliant or who refuse to believe them about having delusions. In the group meetings I’ve been to family members don’t know how to convince their loved ones that their neighbors aren’t spying on them, how there aren’t any cameras or microchips implanted on them, how aliens, demons and religious figures haven’t taken over them or how the government isn’t spying on them etc. I’m sure he loves you, he just might not know what to do to help you. Maybe family therapy could help. It’s hard for people to understand this disease and parents or family members hate seeing their loved ones in pain.

1 Like

Wow, i was told the same exact thing. meh. I took it as, “if you wern’t my blood, i wouldn’t have you in my life” …

1 Like

My father joked that I was a mortal sin.

It sounds like he appreciates you but he doesn’t know how to love you more?

1 Like

He loves you for sure but is upset of your behaviors, “very common case”

1 Like

He may mean that he will always love you, but he is unhappy with your behavior at this time. I’ve never told my daughter I hate her and I never will, but I have had to tell her at times that while I love her, she’s currently disappointing me with poor behavior. Kids can do that when they push boundaries, make mistakes, and lie to you.

1 Like

I’m really sorry he said that to you. I wish he could have found a different way to express frustration than to use the word hate. I think he just didn’t know how to put his frustration into words. I hope that because he said he loves you that he really does love you. So that’s what I’d hang on to.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.