What does it feel like when you recover from shizohrenia?

I think I have schizophreniaand iam wondering what is like when you feel you “recover” from schizophrenia since at a few times i feel like i “catched” the reality and everything is sharpend then it was and I knew a bit more about myself at that time… but it may just last for a few mins/an hour, is it what you feel when you are so-called “recovering “ from the disease? I am also doubting whether i shd take meds or not as I am not sure if taking meds elongate this feeling of”recovery” or actually making it disappear as this so-called “recovery” is inhibited by the drugs(i have been on and off for drugs)I have been long time struggleing for whether taking drug is probable. I did want to raise a question is that as a schizophrenia, how do you know if you are getting touch to the reality /“ recovering”( though i know you have to be on meds for long)
, and could anyone share what you feel when you taking the antipsychotics and you think you are “recovered”? when you would know “oh, i am recovered now and i am back to the reality and that’s me, thanks God!”

pls answer, thanks a lot

3 Likes

It feels fricking Awesome.

5 Likes

You really have to take the meds. Otherwise you could end up thinking you could fly and jump off a building basically.

And welcome to the forum !

7 Likes

i am not yet developing into these thoughts but i am not sure will I have them one day or even thinking people are going to hurt me, i really dun know…

could you please share how you feel you are “recovered” when u taking the meds?

1 Like

Hi. Welcome to the forum! I feel recovered, and I take my meds. It took a long time to find the right meds for me, but now I’m really good. I own a house, work, have a husband, drive, and I’m in training to become a foster parent! I couldn’t achieve any of this if I wasn’t taking my meds. They keep me stable and rational.

9 Likes

Do you have to disclose your schizophrenia to anyone in order to have a kid?

Yes I needed to get a waiver from my therapist saying I was mentally fit to parent. Everyone needs one, though.

5 Likes

i feel really happy to see this!it soudns really hopeful to me, and i really hope you doing well for the future !

2 Likes

I’m so happy for you!

1 Like

Some of it depends on how sick you are as recoveries vary with each individual and sometimes the meds don’t work at all. If the meds knock the positive symptoms down significantly stay on them. Give them some time to work first and don’t expect perfection. If you still hear the voices part of the day that’s better than all the day. Some people recover completely. Others partially recover. I can’t say I’m in the best shape now but I had about 20 decent years I wouldn’t have had if I had not taken the meds. And yes you have to take them for life once you find some that help. I was held back by other problems like my inability to drive and I hope that’s not an issue with you. But for a long while I sorta made up for it by biking and walking. My advice to you is make the most of your youth and don’t be ashamed if you have to live with your parents for a while. Some people don’t even have that option. Working is also a good way to keep a routine as long as you can do it and although I criticize it a lot it’s better to be on disability than the streets. I felt I had no choice but to forgo sex but not everyone with schizophrenia has to do without that. Some of those folks are parents. Good luck.

3 Likes

The main thing is I gained freedom from all the paranoid delusions. They don’t torture me anymore. I feel emancipated from so-called prison! How would that be? I’m living a new life. Now I only need to deal with negative symptoms.

3 Likes

For me life became a lot less interesting when I recovered from the delusions. I had to rely on myself to keep life interesting without turning to the rabbit hole for entertainment. I had it real bad, I was ranting and raving and off my rocker. Now I’m just bored.

The big thing is it makes life easier for your family and support system, at least in my case. They can talk to me now and don’t have to worry about me taking off or doing something else dangerous. I also no longer think they are against me. I just have trouble sometimes with concentration and hallucinations. If that ever goes away I’ll throw a party!

My delusions took a couple of years from onset trying different meds to go away, always a combo of mood stabilizer and second generation antipsychotic.

3 Likes

I feel recovered in that I no longer have positive symptoms or intrusive thoughts and my negative symptoms are reduced to where they are very manageable. I take meds, supplements, and do therapy workbooks to help maintain this and to keep myself in good enough mental shape to handle symptoms if/when they reappear.

Welcome to the community.

:blush:

6 Likes

I am stable while on meds. It’s when they change them or introduce new ones for physical problems then I have trouble. I am otherwise very happy and can function well. Welcome to this corner of the universe. I hope you stay.

3 Likes

I’m not nearly recovered, still a ways to go. But one thing I know is that you’re always gonna have issues and trials in life. But with that said I imagine it being refreshing having no symptoms.

Welcome to the forum

3 Likes

Well when I feel the way I used to feel prior to becoming sick. I will let you know when I have fully recovered.

3 Likes

For me it would be a state of not being perpetually scared and hallucinating, free of intrusive thoughts and head pain.

3 Likes

Yes. When you feel like the way you used to do. I’ve had only a few glimpses of this.

3 Likes

IDK. My neighbors bugging me and I feel like shiz.

I feel like I’m on an even keel so far as schizophrenia goes. I just get depressed. Had to have that adjusted.

Unfortunately I just don’t feel motivated. I don’t think I’ve got it bad in other regards though.

2 Likes