What do you think of fortune telling?

• Some people seem to be be able to at times
  • It’s just a bunch of coincidences
  • Something else

0 voters

I think some people naturally have the power to help others. The therapist I like doesn’t think they are coincidences

It’s logical assumptions and a guessing game mixed with luck and coincidences.

1 Like

Thanks @Bowens 15

1 Like

It’s usually gullible people being taken advantage of by con artists.

3 Likes

That’s true. I stay away from them if I can. It just seems some people know things about me at times.

My mom used to pay for fortune telling, psychic counseling.

There is no scientific proof that fortune telling can predict weather patterns let alone a person’s fate.

Scientific method states that any phenomenon, object and or action needs to be 1) measurable, 2) repeatable and 3) witnessed by other people (scientists)

2 Likes

Thanks @yinyang

1 Like

The counterfeit argues the existence of the genuine.

1 Like

Thanks @Jayster .

They’re probably “reading” you in some way. These psychics and people who claim they know stuff about you are just very intuitive, and very good at reading posture, attitude, body language, the way a person carries themselves and a host of other cues and clues. The easiest example is you can often tell if a person has been in the military by their posture, the way they carry themselves. I work in an army reserve office building. The soldiers have a distinct way of walking and a distinct way of standing. Also, the way they hold their head. Well, psychics (or certain other people) are experts at reading stuff like that. Just like talking to someone and you figure out they’re a cop or an ex-cop. I think you get the idea.

When you see those psychics on TV like the late Sylvia Brown, and they talk to an audience member and tell the person personal details that they “couldn’t possibly know” she’s reading the way a person dresses, talks, acts, even who they’re with. I could never do it but the more famous psychics have years of experience and are experts at it. But the thing is, the psychics are often vague and general. And not only that, they are often proved wrong.

If you are really interested in seeing these psychics debunked and exposed as fakes then check out videos on YouTube of James Randi. This guy made a career out of investigating the paranormal and the occult. He exposed some of the most famous psychic frauds. Most tellingly, he was a head of a foundation who offered a $1,000,000 prize to anyone who could prove, under his tests, that they had ESP or psychic powers or had telekinesis. He offered the prize to anyone who could prove examples of the paranormal, the supernatural or the occult. No one ever collected the prize.

2 Likes

Thanks @77nick77 for the advice. I’ll look into the videos you mentioned.

1 Like
1 Like

Dont let other people tell you about your future. Create your own future.

1 Like

Thanks @rhizome. People impact me at times. Someone used my name, SSN, and birth date to get Covid unemployment benefits. That lead me to moving to a new apartment and getting a new phone number.

Yeah, I don’t have anything original to add. But I think psychics are pretty bogus. There’s just too many variables in life to truly predict it. I mean a horny prostitute could knock on my door at midnight. Or one of us could inherit a good sum of money. Really anything is possible.

1 Like

I really thought you were some women when you were Lantern

You hid your identity well

1 Like

Thanks @Montezuma @Zoe. My profile says he/him. I thought that was an indication I was a guy. Sorry for the confusion.

2 Likes

Oh I didn’t see that. No need to apologise

1 Like

Mike is my real first name and 1965 was a special year for me. I’m 62 years old.

I’m not very creative coming up with a username that I’ll remember.

1 Like