What as needed/PRN antipsychotic do you take?

My dr prescbed me alprazolam as needed and it doesn’t help me feel better. I need something for when I’m having a lot of voices or paranoia and I’m getting really worked up and bothered by symptoms.

What as needed antipsychotic do you take and does it help?

I take haldol. Seems to work ok. I take it for paranoia, helps take the edge off.

1 Like

I take hadolol it seems to work with the voices

1 Like

Thank you @Ravenwolf and @Kip-Kipper I will have to ask my dr about haldol again. She doesn’t seem to prefer it. It seems to work well and I was prescribed it by my previous dr, so I guess I don’t understand why my current dr feels that way about it.

2 Likes

Haldol here too…
Hope they will give you

1 Like

I just want to tell that Haldol is one of the 1. gen that can cause loads of muscular side effects.
I was told by some one that he took 5 mg Zyprexa every time the barn cought fire.

1 Like

I have a 5 MG Zyprexa PRN. It helps at least a lot of the time.

1 Like

Haldol for the AP and Ativan for anxiety. Haven’t used Haldol for at least 7 months. I think I’ve taken two Ativan in that same period. Haldol leaves me cognitively incapacitated for at least a day, so I do everything I can to avoid using it. I have Vraylar at the ready if I find I have to go back on APs.

1 Like

Haldol, 5mg as needed, but it always gives me a “Haldol hangover” the next day.

1 Like

I have some extra 100 mg Seroquel tablets I’m supposed to take as a PRN but in three years I’ve used them like twice.

1 Like

5mg Zyprexa. Yay!

1 Like

Seroquel! It usually just helps me sleep so it helps me calm down.

1 Like

Thank you so much everyone for chiming in!

@anon25523312 @columbus @cdwithdcs @shutterbug @WhiteRaven @77nick77 @Ooorgle @whirling-leaves

There are lots of good as needed meds to ask my dr about it seems! I see her today and I will ask her what she thinks is a good one for me. Thank you again!

2 Likes

Clozapine 100
and chlorpromazine ,
and benzos

2 Likes

Also clozapine (25 mg) and Tranxene (benzo)

1 Like

@Om_Sadasiva

How is the chlorpromazine? I was wondering about that one in particular.

1 Like

Here the brand name is Solidon.
I take 100mg- morning, 100mg-noon.
I don’t know if it really helps.
Because I take 2 more aps

1 Like

Ok! Thank you for the info! Appreciate it! I will have to ask my dr about this one! @Om_Sadasiva

1 Like

First generation ap.
Must be good.
Good luck

1 Like

My PRN is a benzo, Clonazepam.

1 Like