What are the signs you are unlikely to relapse on discontinuation of your medication?

I’m just wondering because I plan to discontinue my meds in December. It will be two years since I started. I had one episode although it was prolonged for three years. I have not relapsed since recovery and I can’t see it happening now I understand the illness and I’m aware. It caught me unawares but I feel stable and that I have a good handle on my mind…

All I can say is do it under doctor supervision. Most ■■■■ ups from coming off meds happen cos folk stop cold turkey. Is hell. Do it with your doctor

2 Likes

So you were continuously psychotic off meds and have been stable on them? And now you want to come off them? This isn’t going to end well in my opinion.

4 Likes

But I feel in a better place in my life now. I’m self aware and I have insight. It couldn’t possibly happen again…

I quit my AP 7-8 weeks ago, after tapering off carefully, with my pdoc’s blessing. I have 3 stable years behind me, after my first and only psychotic episode. I have very good insight, as acknowledged by everyone around me, and zero residual positive symptoms. I only have negatives, such as lack of pleasure and blunted affect, but to my surprise these too have gotten somewhat better after stopping abilify.

Every person with sz is different. A lucky few will never relapse. There have been cases when a relapse occurred after a long period of stability, like 7-8 years. Nobody is safe, but having good insight into the illness is a must.

Right. But because you’re on meds. Anyway, it’s your decision. But make sure you keep your psychiatrist involved.

2 Likes

Thinking it’s impossible to relapse is concerning. It is possible. I hope it won’t happen, but it is very much possible.

1 Like

I think this is dangerous thinking. Please talk to your pdoc about this.

4 Likes

But I’m confident in myself that I won’t be experiencing psychosis again. If symptoms arose again I could nip them in the bud because I have insight now…

It is a bit of wishful thinking. Yes, ideally, your insight combined with a slow return of the positive symptoms, can lead to the illness being kept under control more easily. But people with huge experience, like @Wave, were taken aback by a very sudden relapse when chaging meds. They were hospitalized involuntarily, which is not nice.

I have decided the gains outweigh the risks in my case. Please discuss it with your pdoc first.

2 Likes

I have been hospitalized involuntarily in the past only because I made myself homeless in my psychosis and then my family got me help. But I feel like I am quite sensible now, I understand the origins of my psychosis, and I have let go of the things that I obsessed about. I have a different frame of mind and I don’t attribute that to the meds. Even my psychiatrist said I did all the work myself in getting well again…

Do you mind if I ask what your diagnosis is?

Schizophrenia I think. But it could very well be schizoaffective given that I was depressed when I received it. But as far as I understand schizophrenia…

I wish you a lot of luck. I hope it turns out well. Please keep us posted as to how you’re doing so we don’t worry too much. You can tell we all care a lot about what happens with you. I still do hope you’ll talk to your pdoc to help you safely go off.

1 Like

It’s very common to lose insight on relapse, so don’t count on nipping it in the bud.

My pdoc got me to agree on a crisis plan when I had enough insight.

1 Like

I don’t want to say this but what others are saying is true. I quit my antipsychotic after 7 years. I was stable for 7 years. !!! I came off them with supervision and I feel like an idiot.

How you were off meds is before is how you will become once going off meds again, possibly even worse because your brain is going to be even more flooded with dopamine than it’s been used to when you go off. The meds aren’t healing your brain, you don’t just magically get better after x amount of time stable on meds.

1 Like

Have you stopped to consider that that insight may be due to you being on medication.

1 Like

Well I don’t very well know if that is true or not and as far as I understand the dopamine hypothesis isn’t entirely conclusive. I plan to try a med free trial under the supervision of a Doctor in any case. We’re all individuals. Who is to say I will not be a part of the 20 or so percent who recover without meds? John Nash did.

It’s possible; the thing is there is no reliable way to determine this.

I think it’s considered a better chance if you are female, have higher IQ, had good functuon before onset, and had later onset. But no guarantees.

Have a backup plan, that’s all I’m saying.

1 Like