What an OT does?

I met with my occupational therapist this afternoon. I guess what she does is to offer practical strategies for tackling practical problems. Half of the 60-min session was spent sort of assessing how she could be of help, and the second half involved her observing how I learn information. This was done by teaching me three different stitching patterns in a crafts kind of thing. She induced from this exercise that I’m a monkey-see-monkey-do type of learner. I dunno, but it seemed rather a silly thing. Among other info, she told me there is no magic pill for motivation. Perhaps we all knew that already… I think tomorrow will be more productive, when I help with the local food drive again.

1 Like

My care coordinator I had for three years, the first year we barely communicated. She was an OT. To be fair, once we started to actually talk, we had quite a good relationship, even though we’d fall out sometimes and disagree. We went through coping strategies mainly for work.

She actually hugged me on our last appointment when she left the NHS to be a foster carer which took me by surprise, as I didn’t realise she liked me enough to do that!

1 Like

One good idea this OT had was to have me volunteer with a techie nonprofit. It would involve tearing down computers, stripping away all the old stored info, etc, to be either resold or donated for public use. Sounds like fun, actually. I can bring this up with her again later.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.