Went to say goodbye to my dad today. going tomorrow too

well, I finally decided I just had to go see my dying step father (dad) and it went well. There were a lot of people there and my cousin who was there gave me $20 for gas so I get to go tomorrow too. I am relieved that I am seeing him so much.

9 Likes

I’m glad you got to go visit. It’s important to be able to spend time together while you can.

1 Like

Glad you went there. Sorry for all you’ve been going through. Big hug

1 Like

thank you. I feel so much better that I got to go? It gives me a sense of resolved issues with his death that is coming. He at one time in his life was a bronc busting cowboy that could knock a man out with one punch. ( He did it once when a woman was being knocked around by a man in the parking lot.) Now he just looks like a frail little bird. He’s heavily on pain medication so he’s not really coherent most of the time. but last night one of his friends visiting said “well, Don? How’s it going?” and my dad said “well, this is the high lights of what’s going on…I’m stuck in bed.” that made me mom smile really big and I started to feel tears coming on so I turned away from his bedside for a minute until I gained my composure but that’s as much as I cried while I was there. Now I know dad doesn’t have to see me cry. there were others always kind of tearing up and turning away from dad for a second to gain their composure too so that made me feel better. thanks you two for the well wishes.

4 Likes

That’s awesome @jukebox! :heart:️:heart:️:heart:️

just got back. Had quality time with Dad. He seemed lucid today. last night too. Mom says she thinks it will be a while after all. It’s draining on me all the trips driving. I don’t like to drive. I told mom I wouldn’t be back for a while and she said, “I understand.” we were in the hallway and I cried a snap or two and then stopped. It was a silent cry. didn’t bother mom. everyone there had snaps or two once in a while just having such quality time with my aunt and my cousin too. they are all wealthy so I didn’t have much to say. told a couple jokes though that were a pretty big hit. I hadn’t seen Bobbi Kaye in about a decade and it was so nice to see her, she has a big heart. thank you @Hedgehog

4 Likes

I’m glad you got to see your step father. I know it’s hard. Maybe you can talk about good memories you have of him with other members of your family. I know you’ll miss him. It’s hard to let loved ones go.

1 Like

I’m glad you got to see your Dad. This is really hard for you. Take care.

1 Like

It’s great that you got to visit. ((hugs)) :heart:
You’re a good son.

2 Likes

that’s very good @jukebox, you got to see your dad. i’m sorry you are going through this.

1 Like

Whether your seeing your step-father or not, he recognizes you as someone for his higher well-being :slight_smile:

1 Like