Was asked today if i had a job

well she saw me with my coffee cup and asked if the cafe was open, i said its not and said i’d been making my own and bring it out to save money, she then asked if i had been furlowed due to lockdown, i said no and ‘its complicated’ but i also told her i had nearly got a job with the nhs as a peer support worker, said i’m looking for a job but it has to start off less hours and build it up, she seemed pretty cool, i think she was just looking for conversation.

8 Likes

I always just say I work for my step dad if they get too nosey.

2 Likes

That’s a coincidence. My boss asked me the same thing today.

10 Likes

Just tell them your an entrepreneur.

1 Like

I started telling the truth that I have schizophrenia. I am tired of lying because they kept asking me if I work, friends and family.

5 Likes

I find it really hard to answer. People assume you aren’t interested in work and that its a lifestyle choice etc.

1 Like

Something I never learned: You don’t have to share or overshare.

I used to be pretty upfront with things and people at the cricket club. I went psychotic whilst playing and a lot of the old folk remember me in that state. Still. I’ve given up trying to explain it to people. Most have no idea and when they ask what I do for a living I just say I help out down the club.

I just find it draining trying to explain it and I just don’t offer that information anymore. Makes it hard to date but that isn’t such a priority in my life these days.

3 Likes

I tell nosey people I serve at Satan’s pleasure. I work in insurance, so, close enough. It ends the conversation, which works for me.

1 Like

Since I’ve moved to a group home that question no longer comes up. The worst moment after I quit working was when the lady cutting my hair asked where I worked, what I earned, where I lived, and what I drove. A preacher was sitting in another chair as I tried to explain that I was disabled and then I was schizophrenic. She then said she used to have a schizophrenic husband whom she left because he became too violent. The last time we talked there very little was said.

sounds a bit awkward,

1 Like

You should have said that most schizophrenics are not violent, only 10%.

I want to get a job! I can work in IT, yet people warn against IT, rather than Software development, where all the money and good jobs are. I want to take a course this September, yet it’s looking difficult with Covid-19, there wouldn’t be a lot of hours held in lectures, is my bet. I normally live in Birmingham, yet currently in France where my parents live. As it happens, in France they have quotas for disabled in large companies which have to be obeyed, whereas the UK uses the “American” model and just focuses on anti-discrimination, meaning schizophrenics simply don’t get jobs.

2 Likes

My brother is an IT and its well paid too. He’s trying to have his own IT company and earn 200 000$ yearly.

1 Like

I would always make up a job that I had when those people asked and I wasn’t working. No need to tell strangers that you have schizophremia and can’t work and are on disability.

I used to work in this field as did many of my friends. Virtualization, cloud services, and the increasing intelligence of network appliances rendered many of us useless. Those who I knew in development are still mostly employed. Those on the network management side, maybe 10% are still doing it. Also be aware that once you pass age 45 you’ll be viewed as useless by the younger folk you work with. I.T. is incredibly ageist. The money was nice while it lasted, I’ll admit, but those days are gone.

5 Likes

I tried doing cleaning twice, just a few hours but i hated it

My dad is a cio, he’s the oldest at his firm right now at 57. But he kills it the young guys love him. He’s always up to date with skillset.

3 Likes

I don’t miss that part of it. That’s a fast-moving treadmill to be on. I’ve got co-workers who complain about the 15 hours a year of Continuing Education Units (CEUs) that we have to earn. Blows their minds when I hand in my sheet with over 200 hours for the year. That’s nothing compared to working in I.T., insurance is relaxed to me.

1 Like

Oh yeah one of his common phrases weekly is my brain is going to explode :smile:

1 Like