Vraylar vs. Abilify

I’m on Abilify Maintena 400mg alone (as an AP; also on Effexor) and it’s working. I feel drowsy though and have to compensate with too much caffeine, which causes excessive tension and a little anxiety. I also work in a cognitively demanding field and hope to continue to do so, so I’m looking for the most pro-cognitive medication out there.

Currently researching Vraylar, but also wanted to get some anectodal input. Should I just stick with what’s working or give Vraylar a try?

1 Like

How long have you been on it? I felt sedated on it for about a month before it went away.

1 Like

I would stick to whats working. Everytime i changed it bsckfired. Im also on abilify

2 Likes

@ everhopeful I was on Abilify after Invega for about 15 months, after my first episode, then quit and gradually became psychotic again, which lasted for several months. Since then, have been on Abilify, for about a year now.

1 Like

That’s a long time, I’m surprised you still feel a bit sedated. What dose are you on? I’m on 15mg . 20mg made me feel like a zombie and 10mg just didn’t do enough.

400mg depot. Should have mentioned that.

2 Likes

Im on the exact same

1 Like

I don’t know much about the depot. Vraylar is supposed to be quite like Abilify, as is Rexulti (rxulti in Europe) though. Changing meds is still a risk though, it may or may not work out.

Best of luck with whatever you decide!

1 Like

I’m on Clozapine and it was making me sleep 12-14 hours a day, so my doc gave me Vraylar and since I started it one month ago I now sleep 6-7 hours a day and have a lot more energy. I DID feel kind of like I was tweaking the first couple of weeks, but it’s much better now.

2 Likes

I sleep better as well.

Sorry to open an old topic, but I am thinking about switching from Vraylar to Abilify, and this topic is right on point. Vraylar is costing me way too much and I want to reduce my Tardive Dyskinesia risk and improve my A1C (diabetes measure) besides.

I’m reading that Abilify has a better risk profile when it comes to T2D and TD and can reduce my blood pressure.

I take Vraylar for schizoaffective disorder bipolar type . . .

1 Like

I’d stick to what’s working abilify when I was younger worked like a charm intill it stops working I’d stick with it vraylar is a newer med but it made me personally worse off than with no meds but it helps lots of others

1 Like

You don’t have that feeling on Vraylar such one of the effects of the drug from the type of emptiness like in Invega?

For me it didn’t work neither vraylar or invega haldol makes me feel normal but everybody’s different