Vraylar and haldol

Has anyone been on this combo? I take 4.5mg vraylar (cariprazine) and was just prescribed 5mg haldol prn to help with paranoia/anxiety and hopefully help with sleep as well. Curious if anyone has been on this combo or similar.

1 Like

Vraylar is interesting because it is a new drug that is supposed to help with positive and negative symptoms. Most APs only help with positive ones, leaving negative ones on the flip side. Don’t know much about haldol. Sorry.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I’ve done really well with the vraylar so far, but still get these paranoia “attacks” and disordered thinking sometimes.

I’m the exact same way. I get paranoid too. I recently added myself to a dating app, and I was paranoid that people were saying things about me. When in reality it was my paranoia.

Hang in there. It gets better as you go along. The trick is finding the right combo of meds .I hope things continue to progress well for you. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks, @Choc! And good luck with the app!

1 Like

Haldol will probably have some negative side effects at 5mg. It’s a strong drug. Best to monitor how you feel over the coming weeks.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I’m supposed to take it for a week and then as needed. I’ve heard it’s pretty potent.

I take 1mg and don’t have side effects. However at 2mg the side effects start to become noticeable.

Ah, gotcha. Well that’s a bummer. :expressionless:

It probably depends on a variety of factors. You may do just fine on 5mg

1 Like

I’ve been through mill and I believe that most of us have had the core symptoms that you describe.

1 Like

I’m on clozapine and as-needed Haldol…5mg, too. I find that Haldol helps with breakthrough symptoms, but it can really knock you out. That’s why it’s one of the meds they put in emergency “B-52” shots (Benadryl, 5mg Haldol, 2mg Ativan) when a person is out of control.

1 Like

I also have 5mg Haldol as PRN but I’ve had no side effects, certainly no help sleeping

2 Likes

I take 15mg Olanzapin and 2,5 to 5mg Haldol. I haven’t any problems with this combo. The Haldol helps with anxious and restlessness.

2 Likes

I was worried about it maybe being too sedating, so I guess that’s a good thing.

1 Like

I think it is better to use the 1.5mg Haloperidol Tablets for prn use, as you can always take more than one tablet if you need to.
Haloperidol didn’t really help me with sleep, I am using 50mg Quetiapine at the moment, Olanzapine made my blood glucose levels to high, I would like to try 25mg Clozapine to help me sleep, but I will never get it just for that due to the cost of the blood tests.

1 Like

Good point, that may be a topic for discussion with the doc. At any rate, the pharmacy hasn’t even filled the rx yet anyway. Still waiting. Thanks!