Transplantation of gut microbiota derived from patients with schizophrenia induces schizophrenia-like behaviors and dysregulated brain transcript response in mice

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41537-024-00460-6

Although numerous studies have attempted to elucidate the causes of SCZ occurrence, it is not clearly understood. Recently, the emerging roles of the gut microbiota in a range of brain disorders, including SCZ, have attracted much attention.

5 Likes

About 90% of all neurotransmitters originate in the gut (gastrointestinal tract (GI tract)). The gut and brain are primarily connected via the vagus nerve in the peripheral nervous system (PNS).

Iā€™m just a layman, but when 95% of serotonin and more than 50% of dopamine (neurotransmitter usually associated with schizophrenia) originate in the gut, why not focus on both the gut and brain? I often hear that schizophrenia is associated with a neurotransmitter imbalance in the brain. However, the flow of neurons is bidirectional between the gut and brain, so maybe there is a neurotransmitter imbalance in the gut? Or both? Or neither?

Just my 2 cents.

3 Likes

i read that antipsychoticsw alter the biome. that might be how they work.

2 Likes