Transcranial Direct Current Stimulation May Help with Schizophrenia

Frontotemporal transcranial direct current stimulation (tDCS) may help reduce symptoms of schizophrenia, French researchers suggests.

The noninvasive brain stimulation technique helps modulate brain activity and connectivity, and it may reduce source-monitoring deficits and auditory hallucinations in patients with schizophrenia, the study authors reported online in a letter to the editor November 21 in Schizophrenia Research.

“We observed a 30% decrease in hallucination phenomena but we did not observe complete resolution of hallucination in patients,” wrote study co-author Dr. Jerome Brunelin of Centre Hospitalier le Vinatier of Universite Claude Bernard Lyon I in Bron, France, in an email to Reuters Health.

http://www.psychcongress.com/article/transcranial-direct-current-stimulation-may-help-schizophrenia-20301

Here is a link to the paper - but not much information there:

Related Studies:

that just blows my mind.

1 Like

Yes - should come with a warning “Don’t try this at home” :slight_smile:

I don’t know. I figure if I yank the electric chord loose from the lamp, taped it to a wet sponge, and taped the sponge to my forehead, and then plugged the chord in, I just my cure my schizophrenia.

1 Like

Or at least cure the need for haircuts for a long time :-).

haha you guys are hilarious ! reminded me of when Ernest for Braum’s commercials here in Oklahoma would work on electronics and get the crap shocked out of himself. haha…

Similar tech in the works for treatment of mental illness.