Sometimes, even around people, I may have nothing to talk about. Here on sz.com I can talk about myself and my problems–about psychology. But socially I must learn to make a better “choice of topics.” For example:
- The very latest stories in the news. So I need to keep up. I need to watch the daily news on TV. I may want to form some opinions.
- Talk about my other friends and family. It seems I am always asked about this.
- Some safe, banal topic such as what I like to cook, or what the weather is going to be like. This is good if I am really struggling.
- Let them initiate and then I support their favorite topic. This is the advice some people have given me. “Be interested in them.”
- I can talk about some aspect of my daily life. And I can ask them some open-ended questions.
Does anyone else recognize games people play socially?