Things can get better

I have schizophrenia, a mood disorder, OCD, PTSD, and substance abuse disorder and I’m doing fine.
I have ups and downs, sure, but I’m good.

I train my mind, at first I couldn’t read a paragraph, then a paragraph at a time, now I devour 700 pages books in a couple of days.

I’m going back to work, I’m went back to school.

I see a lot of frustration and negativity here and it breaks my heart. You can get better, you can learn how to deal with your symptoms, you can learn how to cope and live a good life, to at least be more positive about yourself. It’s more than possible.

Meds and therapy, and the right attitude.
Kindness towards others and yourself goes a long way too.

Just had to say this, carry on :slight_smile:

40 Likes

How i feel after your post (:
https://www.kth.se/blogs/eingvar/files/2016/04/teletubbiesun.png

12 Likes

Yesh, the creepy baby from the teletubies, that’s you alright :smile:

4 Likes

I agree with @Minnii, you can get better. I’m not in complete recovery, I still hallucinate a bit. I saw a gremlin today and for the first time I didn’t have a panic attack. meds, therapy and the right attitude is hard sometimes but worth it.`

7 Likes

Never thought I’d have to see that baby ever again :smile:

3 Likes

Isn’t that from the Tellitubbies or Barney?

3 Likes

Needed to hear that today. Thanks for posting.

5 Likes

Nice post Minnii!!!

I just wanted to say that recovery is real, but it does not come easy and it involves doing a lot of stuff that you probably won’t enjoy at the time but it will pay off a little further down the road. For those of us like me, Minnii, and a bunch of other people on here who have a good recovery it wasn’t easy and it wasn’t handed to us and it didn’t come overnight.

Even if you take small risks or tiny steps that is something that helps. Don’t look at everything that you need to do for yourself all at once or you will get so overwhelmed that that you will give up or never start in the first place. Just pick your battles and take it slow. You’re investing in your future. You’re laying the groundwork for contentment in the future.

“The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.”

11 Likes

Thank you for the encouragement. I think it needs patience and perseverance to combat with schizophrenia or just about any illness.

6 Likes

Thank you for your positive message! What you say is what I hold on to when things get tough.

6 Likes

Very well written post @Minnii attitude does make a huge difference.

4 Likes

Yes what a positive post @Minnii
You are simply Amazing! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Aw, thanks @Wave, really needed to hear that today :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Your post is inspiring.

As a mom of a paranoid SZ son,

I get very depressed because I can’t help him much.

I pray and pray each time he’s back on meds, in recovery and

he sounds like himself again.

I pray that this time his health, well-being and happiness will last.

Merci beaucoup!

from Bristol, Vermont

5 Likes

Thanks for typing this! I’ve been symptomatic for 9 years, just had a medication change and I am feeling hopeful xx

2 Likes

Thanks for the post. I’m working the night shift and I just got off the phone with my wife telling her I don’t know if it’s going to get better. She tells me it’s just a bad day. These depressive moods are killer. Eventually I’ll find the right mix of meds.

1 Like

Yeah, I can relate. Depressive days always feel like doom days. It passes though :slight_smile:

1 Like

Minnii - you give families hope when you write this and it’s invaluable. I need advice from someone who has sz and has found a route that works for them in recovery. Our son is on medications but still isn’t coherent and doesn’t want to speak to us. Any way to approach him if he doesn’t want to talk - what would motivate him?

Hugs and love :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m going back to work, I’m went back to school.

What? Are you back in school? I thought you didn’t apply for this year. :confused:

Last year, the school went well, the degree was wrong :smile:

1 Like