There are psychiatrists on this forum

I am more concerned with stalkers that know I have SZA who might troll this site just to be nosy. Yes this site is for patients only, but I appreciate mental health professionals and mental health advocates educating themselves about mental illness and explaining to the public that we are human beings with some problems but also intelligence and love in our hearts

2 Likes

I did some doctor training and am friends with quite a few psychiatrists. Trust me they recognise forums like this to be ā€˜our spaceā€™ - not theirs

6 Likes

I highly doubt there are psychiatrists coming on here.
Some researchers pop in once in a while and some students will show up from time to time, but no actual pdocs.

This is a public forum after all.

3 Likes

I mean its possible but I highly doubt it. Most people donā€™t work for free.

1 Like

In this case, if they are concerned about a family member who has sz/sza, they could join the Family Forum which is specifically for family members and care takers.

3 Likes

I think it is very admirable that a student psychiatrist would want to find ways of helping the patient. by getting a deeper understanding of how they experience things and so can think up what ways they may be able to help.

shows they really care about doing their job well

2 Likes

I came across an article once that cited posts from this forum as source material. Canā€™t recall which article though, I think it was on thought insertion but Iā€™m not entirely sure. After getting it, I started studying schizophrenia as a student too and plan to pursue more academic work on the topic in the future. Certainly not a psychiatrist though, and my interests do not really need extra data nor the testing of hypotheses so the forums are not such a source for me. Our personal experiences in terms of symptoms are well-documented so there is no need to gather much more data on that I think - although to be fair, when reading the literature on thought insertion one does get confronted with the same handful of first person reports of it. Perhaps thatā€™s why the article I mentioned took recourse to this forum. As for causal theories about how schizophrenia develops I think the forum is of little use as well. Side-effects are already studied in the tests before medication comes on the market. All in all I think for most researchers there are better ways to study what they are interested in. One can take of course the forum itself as some sort of social phenomenon in the context of patient movements or something like that.

1 Like

I wish the students studying psychiatry the best as they will be the future in this field of study. But also their salary will depend if they do a good job as well.

1 Like

I operate under the assumption that all psychiatrists and psych nurses know about this site.

2 Likes

I think there are some on this site, probably some of the people who donā€™t ever post.

1 Like

I donā€™t mind having psychiatrists here as long as they improve treatments and help patients.

3 Likes

I believe there are psychiatrists, szā€™s and even imposters, afterall this is 2020

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.