The link between sz and creativity?

Does mental illness make a person more creative?

1 Like

Oh goody, my favourite topic resurfaces yet again.

:face_vomiting:

3 Likes

I am lacking own thinking. I borrow thinking from others. Lack speed. Not satisfied all the time. Creativity is very far.

2 Likes

I think some manic depressive people are very creative when they are manic.

Sz hasn’t made
Me more creative though.

3 Likes

I don’t think schizophrenia makes people more creative. I do believe, however, that creative people are more likely to develop schizophrenia.

6 Likes

Isn’t the answer totally obvious? If schizophrenia made people more creative we would have all kinds of famous schizophrenic artists, actors, writers and musicians. How many good ones do you know of?

When it comes to creativity I think mental illness is more often a handicap than an asset. There have been plenty of artists or actors who suffered from depression or bi polar but I think it hindered their career more than it helped it.

9 Likes

I don’t know. All I know is I was more creative when I was manic, and my sense of humor was better for whatever reason

3 Likes

You’re not the only one but I kind of think doing creative art while manic is like doing art while on drugs and you think what you produce is a lot better than it really was.

5 Likes

Don’t have much to say since this has been discussed a lot.

2 Likes

This just makes me think about Axl Rose fighting his band mates because of the rage his alleged bipolar caused.

1 Like

I think in a way it makes people more creative. if nothing else it’s a different perspective on life than an average person.

1 Like

I think that there’s many creative P who get sz.

Sz dumbs down or numbs their creativity. Generally speaking.

So I believe in what you say but in a reverse way

1 Like

If anyone is interested in a movie about this subject. There’s a movie called Love and Mercy about Brian Wilson member of the band The Beach Boys who was afflicted with Schizoaffective disorder.

I ended up saying a bit of stuff. :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Yup. Doesn’t stop the question from floating back to the surface every so often.

You were creative all along, but the mania allowed you to access it. Negs, right?

2 Likes

I’m too tired to link but last decent article I saw shared here said no. You aren’t more creative.

2 Likes

Having SZ doesn’t make a person special. Not giving up and fighting back against it, that makes you special.

3 Likes

I think the topic persists because its some kind of archetype, the mad genius, but that doesn’t mean that it is a statistically accurate representation. It’s interesting to me how we could find such archetypical representations appealing or striking despite not being accurate.

1 Like

Idk. I cant judge my own creativity. I dont think anyone has insight into their own creativity.

1 Like

no great mind ever existed without a touch of madness imo

2 Likes

In my opinion it’s a correlation but not causation. I think it’s a personality type …the melancholic… who tends to both be creativ and yet is prone to m.i.

1 Like