TAAR1 Agonism – A Novel Approach To Treating Schizophrenia

Although there has been significant interest over the last 60 years to develop novel treatments for schizophrenia that do not block dopamine D2 receptors, most of these efforts have been unsuccessful in the clinic. However, researchers have recently identified a new promising therapeutic target for the treatment of schizophrenia: trace amine-associated receptor 1 (TAAR1).

7 Likes

I wonder how does TAAR1 receptors affect dopamine. Antipsychotics act on serotonin receptors that reduce dopamine function indirectly.

2 Likes

You are assuming that dopamine is the cause. The truth is that we don’t know.

4 Likes

Taar1 agonism reduces the release of dopamine and serotonin, rats in trial lost weight and appetite with taar1 agonism compared to placebo, so if you just agonise taar1 alone, you will end up losing a lot of weight

3 Likes

So it keeps you thin and sane. Im in. Where do i sign

2 Likes

Any idea when the phase 3 trial ends and when it may be available.

1 Like

I am getting the feeling that if this one works, there would be a whole bunch of others based on this approach. 2nd generation APs would become less relevant in the future.

1 Like

In my case it is. Whenever I take Ldopa I get positive symptoms.

1 Like

Stimulant induced psychosis is a real diagnosis where psychosis is caused by too much dopamine.

1 Like

There are 4 phase three USA trials active, 3 of which are still recruiting. One trial ( NCT04109950) is scheduled to end in late 2022. If they need data from that trial, then it could not be approved until sometime in 2024. If they could apply with data from only the other 3 trials, then it might be a bit sooner.

3 Likes

There’s 2 already pass it’s completion date, for 50,75,100mg of ulotaront but I can’t find any result on the internet,

Maybe they are thinking of announcing the results with the newest data from the other studies

1 Like

Not good news. If it is breakthrough of this kind, they want to publish the results immediately.

All 4 USA trials are in β€œactive” status, 3 of the 4 trials still recruiting on the government website. It is usually quite a few months after completion before results are published.

clinicaltrials.gov search

1 Like