Schizophrenia.com

Stopping Schizophrenia Before Birth

Scientists have long called it a “brain booster.” Choline is a nutrient found in animal cells, like meat and fish, that is essential for human development. Not only does it aid in memory and learning, but researchers now believe choline could help prevent mental illness.

Before he was even born, five-year old William Mason and his mom were part of a landmark research study.

Mother, Lisa Mason, told Ivanhoe, “I thought that would be beneficial for my baby.”

Researchers wanted to know if giving pregnant women choline would protect their babies against schizophrenia.

One half of the women in the study were given a placebo. The other half took choline. After birth, the babies whose mothers took choline continued to receive the supplement.

Researchers then followed up with sensory tests. The normal human brain responds fully to an initial clicking noise, but screens out the second click.

That filter doesn’t happen with schizophrenia.

Randy Ross, MD, director of research training at the University of Colorado School of Medicine, told Ivanhoe, “Your brain is wired to not pay attention to repetitive uninformative information in the environment.”

The study showed mothers who took choline had babies who were far less likely to respond to the second sound. 76 percent had a normal response compared to the 43 percent of the babies in the placebo group.

http://www.ivanhoe.com/channels/p_channelstory.cfm?storyid=33767

Prenatal Supplementation with Choline and Reductions in Early Childhood Behavior Problems / Mental Illness: Evidence from New Study
Antipsychotic medications while pregnant?

There was nothing in the article that said these women even had mental illness in the family.

there was a very good chance that the kids would grow up with out mental illness anyway.

I really hate the idea of in the womb tampering. What if the kids weren’t even predisposed to Sz and this stuff they are giving the Mom shows up as… early blindness in teens…

Teens loose sight at 17 due to chemicals ingested by Mom’s to prevent mental illness… (that they weren’t even going to get anyway)

It’s like arresting someone before they commit a crime because they have the ability to commit a crime… not that they did…

It’s easy to pop up some scare tactic stuff like this… but will this reporter and doc be following everyone of these kids to their 20’s?

Maybe if there was something in the article that the women themselves were mentally ill and this kept it from being passed on… or that there was already mental illness in the family and the genetic light switch was there…

but just feeding stuff to random women saying… Oh this might prevent mental illness… you should take it… how ever… we have no idea what it will do to other genes and immune systems.

No disrespect at all, and it’s a good discussion… but stuff like this really does get on my nerves quick.

I love this! I swallowed so much disgusting cod liver oil for my children that it was ridiculous! However, this gives me another reason for having done it.

This is reminding me of a discussion on my old forum…

I’m not sure I would even want to live in a world where there was no abnormality…I know people suffer from this as have I…but when I envision a world in which all abnormalities are routed out in the womb I don’t envision a world I would want to live in.

I can only see stuff like this leading to genetically enhanced babies…Oh boy do I not want to live in a world in which the rich can choose to have babies of optimal genetic traits…I know this is different but it just gets my mind going in that direction.

Normally I would agree, but choline from a natural source has been studied extensively and has many health benefits. It has also lessened symptoms in mentally ill patients. It’s given during pregnancy for proper skeletal growth of the baby, so, taking the next step in this study is fine. But I will say that I doubt the doctors would care if there were no studies on choline at all.

Here is another story on the same topic - we’ve seen research on this topic for many years now and many people I know take a lot of choline (5 grams to 6 grams per day) during pregnancy to help with this:

http://www.wndu.com/news/specialreports/headlines/Choline-may-prevent-mental-illness-in-newborns-274504131.html

They may not have mentioned it in the news story - but I’ve talked to the searchers and they were only looking for people with significant history of mental illness / schizophrenia in people’s family.

I can dig that… so I’m getting irritated with sloppy reporting… not sloppy science.

Thank you for that… now I won’t stew on that all day.

This is kind of exciting news for me as someone who might want kids in the next few years. I would need to do some more research on the side effects of choline and talk to my primary and pdoc. I did a google search and its an easy to find supplement at places like GNC or iherb.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Researchers then followed up with sensory tests. The normal human brain responds fully to an initial clicking noise, but screens out the second click.

That filter doesn’t happen with schizophrenia.

Randy Ross, MD, director of research training at the University of Colorado School of Medicine, told Ivanhoe, “Your brain is wired to not pay attention to repetitive uninformative information in the environment.”

The study showed mothers who took choline had babies who were far less likely to respond to the second sound. 76 percent had a normal response compared to the 43 percent of the babies in the placebo group.

Are they suggesting that these babies have schizophrenia or that a click test can diagnose the illness?

And this.

A new 10-year study shows that the brain-boosting nutrient choline can actually prevent mental illness like schizophrenia in new born babies.

I wasn’t aware that new born babies could even have schizophrenia or other mental illnesses. I’m not saying they’re wrong, just that I had never heard of this before.

What about abortions?

Deficits in what is called “prepulse inhibition” is a very common brain issue in schizphrenia - and that is what they are measuring here.

Its not absolutely certain that they are preventing schizophrenia - but its a very good sign.

More reading here:

http://www.schizophrenia.com/sznews/archives/004423.html

You can’t test in-utero (before birth).

I was joking lol

I heard the herb brahmi(bacopa monniera) and ashwagandha (withania somneria) are given to babies in india for better brain .bacopa is good for gaba and memory and ashwagandha for redcung cortisol

waht happened to the remaining 14 % babies were they like other babies
did their mothers develop preeclampsia I am referring to those babies who had choline but still had the startle response

here is something that can help after you are born

Hi @jamesrbc. Typically, we like to leave inactive threads alone and just start a new thread instead. This is different than how some forums are run, but we do it this way because it frequently upsets users to have old topics revived when they are no longer relevant. It can also be frustrating to the person who revived the thread when they don’t get a reply, because the original poster is no longer active or no longer finds the topic relevant. Feel free to start a new thread on this topic.

Thanks,

Ninjastar
Volunteer Moderator