Social Functioning Trajectories of Young First-Episode Psychosis Patients with and without Cannabis Misuse: A 30-Month Follow-Up Study

Summary:

On the whole, this study shows that cannabis misuse was highly prevalent (> 50%) within a sample of FEP patients after the remission of acute psychotic symptoms. While an overall improvement in social functioning was observed in this sample, in the context of an early intervention service, those patients with baseline cannabis misuse did not improve their long-term social outcomes during the study period. Therefore, there is a need to develop effective interventions to reduce cannabis misuse and, ultimately, to improve social outcomes, which is an essential goal for specialized services that provide care for young people with psychosis.

Source: (full paper)

1 Like

Bleedinā€™ obvious that is, mate. Next theyā€™ll be telling us the world is round and not flat.

10-96

1 Like

Obvious to some - but some other people think that cannabis helps themā€¦ to their detriment.

1 Like

I was a heavy cannabis user when I was a teenager. I think it has at least contributed something to my problems now. I might have only been a minor, but I am still responsible for it and deserve no sympathy for where I am now.

Just yesterday I was reading posts from people saying that cannabis does not cause psychosis, period. All I could think was: Come meet my sonā€¦

2 Likes

Dunning-Kruger effect.

10-96

2 Likes

Interesting - you learn something new every day. Didnā€™t know that there was a word for this:

2 Likes

I coach teens in archery. Regularly get lectured that some CGI trick they saw on Arrow or in The Avengers is possible in real life. Iā€™d like to be less aware of this issue.

10-96

1 Like

Interesting - hadnā€™t thought about this before, but perhaps all the CGI in todayā€™s movies are actually making people less knowledgeable about the real world. I guess it depends on the types of movies - lots of CGI is also used in educating about science things that we canā€™t otherwise video record (think atoms, planets, etc.)

Also - reminds me of another saying of mine - ā€œthe older I get, the more I realize how little i knowā€.

An example, Hawkeyeā€™s ā€˜snap-bowā€™ doesnā€™t exist in real life. The snap-assemble bow was accomplished thru CGI. Iā€™ve had kids argue for an hour that theyā€™re real and must be somewhere on Youtube. (Sort of how like people argue telepathy is real here.)

Second, it may look cool in a movie, but heā€™s dry firing an empty bow. The arrow is added in CGI. His stance is all wrong, heā€™s not lined up, heā€™s only half drawing the bow in many instances, and he looks to be aiming with the wrong eye!

But, hey, Iā€™m the archery coach who outshoots all but one of the kids. What do I know?

10-96

Anyhow, I agree that CGI is distorting perceptions of reality, sort of like how Photoshop distorts perceptions of beauty.

10-96

2 Likes

Ahā€¦ but sometimes they get it right :smile:

1 Like

Agreed, but thereā€™s not a single male in the archery club who will admit to having seen that film. Also, itā€™s only the males who get into pointless arguments. The females just spend their time quietly outshooting the males.

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

10-96

1 Like

SZ trigger warning!

Fascinating phenonmenon. I read that paper awhile back. While I understood the basic premise of the study, I did not agree with using comedy as one of the controlsā€¦seemed rather subjective.

I too wish I knew nothing of that article as well. Now I question everything I think I thought I knew about anythingā€¦