So, is sz what you thought it was?

Is sz the same thing that you thought it was pre-sz?

2 Likes

I had no knowledge of schizophrenia until I took an Abnormal Psychology course in University and learned of the various mental illnesses including schizophrenia. The DSM-V (Diagnostic and Statistics Manual of Mental Illness - Version 5) is what most psychiatrist base their diagnosis on.

1 Like

I thought it was a permanently crippling mental illness and that people with it would never be able to function usefully. Very happy to be wrong.

3 Likes

My parents had a friend with sz. He used to say violent things sometimes. Like “I could snap your neck with my bare hands” to people. My impression of sz was not good prior to getting it , no, thanks to this person being the only example that I had.

I thought sz were unpredictable and potentially violent.

5 Likes

I just thought people were seriously messed up if they heard non-existent voices. I couldn’t be further from the truth because I, someone who I saw as very rational, had been experiencing some symptoms of sz without knowing it my whole life.

In regards to my perception of people living with sz, I didn’t think it was debilitating at all, but maybe inconvenient.

3 Likes

I thought they were like The Joker or Patrick Bateman.

1 Like

I also had no idea negative symptoms existed.

5 Likes

Never thought about it pre-sz. A young family friend got it about a year before I did. He started getting in trouble with the law which was very unlike him. I guess all I knew about it was it made our friend desert his family and become withdrawn and he was actually a very nice guy. About a year after I got it the authorities found him in winter, frozen to death sitting in an orchard with his back against a tree, no jacket. It was too bad, his parents were devastated, they were good people and so was he. It was weird that we both became schizophrenic, when we were both young no one could have guessed we would both get it.

2 Likes

I didnt know negative symptoms were part of it. I thought it was just hallucination and delusions

But before i had mental illness the only thing i knew about was anxiety or depression. Even that i had a limited idea of it

4 Likes

I thought the same too.

4 Likes

Presz I thought mental illness had no treatment and that they, the mentally ill, are locked away from society for life.

3 Likes

I thought that too, the voices threatened to get me locked on an asylum.

2 Likes

I thought i was doomed to a hell of relativity. Turns out madness is not so bad :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I honestly had no clue about sz before dx except having watched a beautiful mind, absent mindedly.

1 Like

I honestly thought I was developing another personality. I had it in my mind it was DID I was that clueless. It was start of the internet though and was online and soon found the old site. That brought me back to earth rather quickly and found out all about positive and negative symptoms.

4 Likes

It’s not what I thought it was. I thought you had hallucinations all the time even on medications. And maybe some people do, but I don’t think that’s the case for many.

1 Like

You make that @#$% look good.

:heart_eyes:

2 Likes

I had no clue what it was before I got sick. I took an abnormal psychology class in college. Must have been hungover that day and skipped.

1 Like

I’m so sorry for your friend. :heart:

2 Likes

I had no idea about SZ or any other mental illness. They never taught us anything about it at school - not that I really attended the last 2 years

If my biological father was around, and his family hadn’t disowned me and my mother, then I’d probably know a few people who share the faulty genes I happen to have

2 Likes