So I’m no longer sure about my new therapist because

I told her about a situation that occurred several years ago when I was in PTSD group therapy and she didn’t believe it happened and said it must just be a delusion

Here’s what happened -

I was in group therapy and stated I’m sick of discrimination I receive from drs due to my mental illness. They often refuse to treat me and won’t allow me to speak for myself. They insist on listening to my family instead.

The therapist told me they’re doing it most likely because I am unable to speak for myself. He said I’m like another woman in the group who needs others to speak for her. He even went as far as to point at her when he said it!

I complained about him to his supervisor and she told me they received other complaints as well.

When my new therapist told me it was a delusion, I told her others complained as well. She said it still may be a delusion.

Does this mean she isn’t going to believe anything I tell her? (Ps. He’s not there anymore).

2 Likes

I’d get another therapist …

4 Likes

Do you think first I should talk to her about how her assumption makes me feel and how it’s not fair?

1 Like

If it were me, I’d just move on to another therapist… one that believed me. But that’s just what I’d do if I was in your situation.

4 Likes

You don’t have to let her validate what she said. That was bs and real gaslighting.

3 Likes

Ok. I’ll think about it a bit. She’s given me tools that help so I’m afraid to let her go.

2 Likes

I understand.

I got annoyed with mine once and almost changed. She said she wasn’t sure if my delusions and hallucinations were delusions and hallucinations OR instead, a very creative imagination.

1 Like

You have elucidated one of the concerns I have being newly diagnosed, which is that folks with knowledge of my diagnosis (therapists and other health personnel) will discount and discredit my perceptions, as it becomes too easy for them to account it to my diagnosis. Just because I have a diagnosis does not mean I am not intelligent. It does not mean all my perceptions are flawed. That said, if your therapist is mostly helpful and you derive significant benefit from his/her assistance, it may be worth tussling through this issue, if possible. Good therapists are hard to find. No one is perfect, but human and also flawed. I think we should challenge them. This is what I would prefer to do. If I found we were unable to resolve it, I would then move on.

TreeTop

3 Likes

Thanks @TreeTop . 15

1 Like

I think it is a good reason to switch therapists. I wouldn’t talk to her about feelings and fairness. But I’d let her know in a professional tone, maybe in an e-mail, what the reason for your leaving is. Maybe the feedback is taken seriously, and her next patients will be helped by it.

Hm… read Treetop now. If you really like her, besides this, maybe do talk. It depends on your overall feeling with her. And the availability of better options.

I stick with my psychiatrist, even though he treated me horribly for years. He admitted to being wrong and changed his ways. He now follows my lead. It will be hard to find a psychiatrist who does. So I stay. By lack of better options.

2 Likes

Yes, @Marian . Where I go for community mental health, a lot of changes were made. Almost all of the experienced therapists left. My only other choices are new, inexperienced therapists. The experienced ones aren’t able to take new clients. And the waitlist is long. I have very serious issues I need to work through.

A new inexperienced person might actually be good, but I’m trying to determine if I want to take that risk.

Also, I am under a grant program there where I don’t have to pay my insurance copays for any treatment received so I’m staying with that clinic. I can’t get under a grant elsewhere as far as I know.

1 Like

Sounds reasonable. Sometimes there is no other option. i would be very clear with her though, and speak about it.

1 Like

Yeah. I’ve decided to bring it up first thing at our next appointment and if I don’t feel she understands and is going to believe me about what happened to me when I was young and need to work through, I’ll have to get a new therapist. I really did have those things happen to me and I’m traumatized over them and need help getting through that trauma.

1 Like

Good plan. Good therapists are rare. So if you can work it out and she turns into a good therapist…great. If not: you are not helped by a bad therapist.

If you are asking for directions…it is better to find your own way, than to ask someone who sends you the opposite way you are supposed to go to.

1 Like

Very wise @Marian

1 Like

Well, after about fifty tries, walking the wrong way…I learned. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’d definitely get another therapist. Even IF what you’re experiencing was a delusion (not saying it is at all), a good therapist will find a way to carefully validate you without pushing a delusion further. I speak from experience with a wonderful therapist who understands it’s not as easy to just drop my reality.

Please, please see about seeking another therapist. Be safe, friend.

2 Likes

I had to reschedule my therapy appointment for next week because it was Friday and I just found out my daughter is being discharged Friday from the hospital and I need to pick her up. But I do plan to discuss it with her. I’ll decide what I’m going to do based on how it goes.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.