So have been offered social housing but in a real bad area

Is a pretty old and run down studio flat. The area is just awful and the corridor leading to the flat is being used as a toilet.

I feel bad to turn the offer down but I feel I would likely get ill in such a rough neighbourhood

6 Likes

I lived in a similar government housing apartment and it can be really stressful. I think you made the right choice. I had a lot of really bad experiences when I lived there.

4 Likes

thought ur living wit parents?

1 Like

Nah mate. In a flat on my own. Is private though not council

1 Like

ok, but are your parents leaving there house to u in the dids?

1 Like

The one place really only wanted retirees and single parents. But there were no major grocery stores near and only a tiny dollar store, tiny save-a-lot and a Chinese place a half mile away.

It was modern enough though.

1 Like

You made the right choice!
Sounds terrible and would stress you out.

2 Likes

I always look for the area, community, before the standard of living, so i guess you made the right choice.

It’s depressing with a rough neighborhood.

2 Likes

@anon94176359

try not to worry, face lifes problems, be stronger

1 Like

I’m thinking of applying for public housing when I turn 62 next January. The public housing near where I live is safe, and nice. Everything I need is in easy walking distance. There are some advantages where I am, though. I can get the stories I write run off by staff on their office machinery. I have a little forced social interaction, just about the right amount. I might have a lot more structure if I moved to public housing. I hate structure. I don’t know what kind of internet service I could get. I have time to make my decision. I might be put on a long waiting list anyway.

1 Like

You made the right decision Jbob. :+1:

Right before I was diagnosed I lived in a very violent city. I could hear gunshots right outside my window, and they found a body at the church I used to attend.

So environment makes a huge difference.

2 Likes

You need to feel safe where you live.

3 Likes

I’m glad you decided against it. Maybe a better opportunity will come along.

2 Likes

I am also team “you need to feel safe at home”

3 Likes

are you going to publish your stories? you need them on disc…I printed out my book first on a word processor and then had to in turn retype the whole book to get it on disc and it suffered editing flaws because of the redo…just wondered. @crimby

I’d like to publish my stories some day, but you have to jump through so many hoops to get them published. I lack the clerical skills. Hopefully, I can get it done.

2 Likes

just self publish…costs around 700 bucks through iuniverse…don’t fall for any more than that cost.

1 Like

You need to have an agent who can promote your book and get you good reviews. There is a lot that goes with it. They’re not likely to show much interest in an unestablished writer. I’m thinking I will do all my writing without getting it published, and let them discover it in my room after I’m dead, like they did with Emily Dickenson.

1 Like

I would of turned it down too. Living in a rough area can really mentally drag you down. I’m in supported living in a nice area.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.