Smoking cigarettes

Who smokes? I smoke at least half a pack a day, but its so cold and im so tired of going outside that I bought an electric cigarette kit. I started smoking very seldom in high school, like just on friday nights shooting the ■■■■ with my friends, but when I became scz when I was 18 1/2 i became a regular smoker.

I was very heavy smoker for a very long time. It’s taken a while, I’m trying to hold it down to three a day. Yesterday got up a bit, but I’m trying to quit.

It’s a hard thing to do. Not just the nic addiction… But the pause smoking allows you is also addicting as well.

yeah i kind of do it out of boredom. gives me time to think for a few minutes

I also use it as a way to cover up my anxiety. A conversation gets too heated at the family table? Just pop out for a smoke, (It’s not cognitive problems or concentration… it’s a nic fit) Have a thought just erase it’s self from my head as I’m saying it? Hide it by pausing to light a cigarette.

Voices acting up if I go to a busy place? step outside for a cig, calm down… It was stuff like this that also jacked up my intake.

I started smoking when I was 15. And became a VERY heavy smoker at over 2 packs per day. It just seemed to calm my positive symptoms a bit, so I was self-medicating.

Last year, I decided that I wanted to quit. So I started cutting out one cig at a time. And now I’m down to 5 per day. Most of the time, that is.

I’ve found that I smoke more in social situations. And definitely more in major life stressors. But I’m doing my best to control it. I’ve been smoking for 15 years now, and that’s enough damage to my body!

Blessings,

Anthony

From two packs to only 5 day is a huge accomplishment. Keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

It’s hard sometimes. How have you been holding up?
I’m still wavering between 3-5 a day myself. I really want to see if I can be on lower doses of meds if I get the cigs out of my life.

I smoke about a pack and a half now, im always smoking and i dont’ care.

If it kills me thats just fine, i don’t want to do this anymore to be honest.

I just have no reason not to.

1 Like

Perhaps of interest to smokers:

http://www.schizophrenia.com/smoke.htm

I’m like radmed, I was a very heavy smoker (3 1/2 packs a day), and now smoke 5 cigarettes or less a day.

1 Like

Good for you, J! I’m doing pretty well at it too. For med reasons as well. I have an auto immune condition called rheumatoid arthritis and cigs block the absorption of the meds used to treat it.

So having less pain is a great motivator!

Blessings,

Anthony

I used to smoke a lot! I was smoking about a pouch of top or more a day and drinking etc. Now I smoke about 4-7 a day and i only smoke organic american spirits. And havent drank in…it’ll be four years in April. I agree with them being addicting for the excuse of being allowed to leave a situation etc and do something different. When I’m around people, I also smoke a lot lot more.

I was a smoker for 2 years. Now I watch my mother coughing a lot, from the cigarettes of course. I quit because I don’t want to end up with COPD disease, what a miserable existence that would be.

i smoke a pack and a half a day. for me, it helps with some of the symptoms. like others have said, its also good if my anxiety ramps up in social situations.

I smoke less than a pac a day, i tried to quit once and i quitted for four months but i couldn’t handle the depression and nervousness so i went back on… Next time i quit i will gradually decrease it within a year and than quit. I know usually cold turkey is the best way but not for me, the med already changed the way chemicals transmit in my brain and quitting cold turkey does sort of the same thing.

1 Like

I smoke pretty often. its one of my only pleasures even though i would want to quit but dont have the motivation

1 Like