Should people diagnosed with schizophrenia be allowed to own or have access to firearms?

I think the sellers at gun shows are private. Im not sure but I believe that they just rent the booth as a vendor.

first of all, i literally never said ban guns entirely. they certainly have a place and a function. but the laws surrounding them are so ridiculously lax in this country compared to other developed countries. and all the arguments of ā€œoh the bad guys who still find gunsā€ arenā€™t solid because in other countries that have implemented much stricter gun control, their gun homicide rates dropped significantly. is guns were tightly controlled, it would be much harder for the ā€œderangedā€ person to ever get a gun to bring into your home

Do NOT quote meā€¦ but there was rumors when Obama was in office of The FBI having a list of SEVERLY mentally ill (who could not maintain their own benefits ) people forwarded to them by the SSAā€¦ again do NOT quote me:: I think Trump reversed this or refused to sign ā€¦ do not quote me ā€¦ Only water cooler yā€™all around the office

America is a tyrannical government.

Get off my land.

There I said it.

2 Likes

But there IS a list and as stated above it has to do with being involuntarily commited and our mental competency.

lol :joy: yes your out numbered we all are

Itā€™s natural right ?

My point is they canā€™t keep guns out of the hands of the mentally ill,

Like me.

Seems super dangerous.

1 Like

Natural does not mean good, though. I donā€™t think everyone should have weaponry like the constitution says., anyway Nowadays, regular weapons would do nothing against the government anyway! They have missiles and bombs and nuclear power. Our regular weapons would do nothing. lol

right now the gun laws in this country are lax enough that my brother could get a gun no problem. this is an absolutely horrible thing, given a history of violence, self harm and mental illness. heā€™s threatened to kill his ex and her boyfriend and was dead serious. i dont know, i just see a problem with the system when someone like that can so easily get their hands on a gun.

Not all of them, no. Just like you canā€™t win every game. You canā€™t save every dying patient. Nothing is 100% ā€¦

Although it is a right as a US citizen Everyone shouldnā€™t. And a lot donā€™t. I went with a friend to pick UP a gun that he already purchased and they would not release the gun to him because his cousin who was with him smelled like marijuana and was high. It is not as simple and easy as some make it seem

At that one place, perhaps. I think we need to rework the Constitution. Southerners should get over themselves. They will never form a working militia that could take down the government. People are saying there should be free access to all guns, no regulations at all. I think thatā€™s a horrible idea. They think people calling for reasonable gun restrictions are demanding they turn in every single gun they own so that they can be melted down or something. People in my own family think this way.

2 Likes

same, honestly. i live in the rural south, and people are so attached to their guns. they hear gun control and think the government is on their way to take their guns forever. i think its more of an urban/rural divide rather than a southern/northern divide though, it seems like whatever part of the country you go to if its rural, there will usually be lots of support for guns

3 Likes

Perhaps you are right. My experience is primarily in the rural, Deep South.

im in the rural upper south, which i think may be even more steadfast in their gun ownership. i think it actually has to do w the culture of appalachia where i live, even dating back to before the revolutionary war they had a very independent streak and would rather burn than give up their guns. its actually a very interesting and peculiar place, the colleges here even have majors based on studying the region. im kind of off topic, though

My family would rather burn than give up their guns as well. Thatā€™s been my experience with most rural southerners. I have a weird amount of strongly libertarian friends and family members, so that doubles it.

Iā€™ve never heard of anyone requesting nor expecting No restrictions or a militia large enough to take down the government them selvesā€¦ I also am not sure what you Said about turining in or melting down guns .; all that sounds ludicrous.

You havenā€™t met the people I know. I hear these things and see them on Facebook regularly. I saw plenty of posts of people saying the Parkland kids calling for gun control should be shot or that theyā€™re trying to take away all of the guns, etc.

1 Like

I was still waiting on someone to answer this !! Wtfwyd? Call Jesus? Allah? Muhammad? Run and hide ?
You have no gunā€¦ nothing . Just aid and opportunity between you and a crazy and deranged mad man or woman. Who knows they might be a Sz having psychosis or off their meds ?