Should people diagnosed with schizophrenia be allowed to own or have access to firearms?

I think we should be allowed to have firearms just like everyone else,

That being said, I don’t think anyone should be allowed to have firearms.

13 Likes

As a citizen of the US we have RIGHTS that were put in place by our forefathers to protect us from our government and limit its control over us. Those rights are something we take very seriously. One of the main ones is the the right to bear arms … our 2nd amendment right. “ “A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.”
To MOST ( ESPECIALLY IN THE SOUTHERN PART) Americans our Constitutional rights are like our AIR… you can not be American if you don’t have rights (not really but you get my drift)… America+rights=natural/normal

Give us liberty or give us death…

You should NOT have to register your guns … That is a violation of your privacy and is no ones business what you have in your home.

sure, while we’re at it, lets let people have anything in their home! go ahead citizens, store those bombs in the garage!

1 Like

I wasn’t disputing the right to bear arms. I’m just questioning your over-generalization that it is “natural” to carry arms for most Americans. I don’t think that’s true based on my experience and I’m an American.

1 Like

If people are responsible gun owners and they have acquired their guns legally, they should be OK with having their guns registered.

1 Like

Most states have laws and legislations put in place regarding mental illness. Some stricter than others . A lot of them specify that if you have been hospitalized/Baker Acted,etc; within a certain amount of time you can not get a gun. All businessess have a waiting period when purchasing guns due to background checks

What about those who sell guns at gun shows?

I own two firearms and my mental state has never come into question,

How would they even search to see if I am mentally ill?

They can’t, they don’t.

1 Like

I don’t think guns should just exist randomly in homes. It’s dangerous NOT to keep track of weaponry, not knowing what people have. Registering guns helps keep them out of the hands of people who shouldn’t have them.

My family handed down guns from my grandpa one Christmas. I got one. I forfeited it to my aunt. Why? I’ve been suicidal and homicidal in the past. I should not have a gun, and the fact that gun is unregistered means I could have easily kept that gun and nobody would know. That is flat out dangerous, in my opinion.

I would not and would not recommend no one too.:: this is just my opinion: Why should they tell the world ? What business is it of theirs ? No reason and none

If that is considered as a legal weapon then more power to them. Who am I to say what you or anyone else can have ? I’m not

society is just so vastly different from how it was when the constitution was written, there is absolutely no way the writers of the constitution could’ve envisioned the type of weaponry we would have now. the world changes and evolves, so should our constitution imo…

Canada is bringing in a new law that prohibits a person with a serious mental illness such as schizophrenia from owning a long gun which includes automatic assault rifles. Since I have schizophrenia I will be prohibited. Since I no longer hunt I no longer have any guns and so I don’t care. As far as joining a militia to go fight the government I think I’m outnumbered and out gunned pretty much.

Oh ok I gotcha! Well I feel like having a gun is a natural thing for me. It is my right. I pay my taxes, I abide by the laws(within means) and I will bear my arms. I grew up hunting and all that … I was taught gun safety… actually Nevermind… I agree to disagree… I guess

Well whoever gave it to you is where the issue lies. That is where the problem came in clearly … if that sh*t didn’t happen then that would be one less problem that you would be worried about

I also grew up with guns. My dad took me and my siblings target shooting at the local gun range. We did not use guns for hunting.

Even though I enjoyed target shooting, I would never own a gun myself because I feel I would be too at risk for suicide if I had ready means available.

1 Like

I come from a deep south family which loves their guns and sees them as a piece of the family. They handed down these guns out of love for our grandfather and to keep the tradition alive. This was well before it was known in my family that I had these issues. Because I hadn’t told them since they don’t quite understand issues like depression and ignore them. Even now, none of them would see a problem with me having a gun. Why? Because people just have guns around here, and that’s just how life is.

Government is corrupt and people are dangerous. I believe that there were highly intelligent and that they knew somewhat what was gonna happen. You have to protect your self and your family … if someone breaks in your house, crazy and deranged with a gun what are you gonna do ? Call the cops?

Im blowing a hole in your ass. Soon as you step foot in my dwelling. I’m not fighting. I’m not yelling. I’m blowing a hole in you. If it’s me and mine or you. It is def gonna be you! I have kids I have to protect… how can I do that with no gun ?! Police can’t save you… Hell the police are the ones killing most the people now.

I respect that.