Should I tell them my colleagues I have schiz?

So I work in an mental health clinic aimed at helping those with psychosis in particular. I used this service in my local area (not the one where I work) when I got really ill and I want to tell my colleagues how great a job they are doing and that i have schiz myself. I want to tell them it has been amazing to be on the other side of the reception desk and see what work goes into helping people with difficulties. I want to write and leave the whole team a thank you letter before I leave. What do you think?

Sounds cool. I bet you’ll write an awesome letter.

I think your contract will be renewed in 3 months. So don’t write a goodbye letter until after you’ve actually left!

1 Like

I’d wait to make sure you’re really leaving. I don’t know if opening up about having the illness in your work place is good because people may judge you negatively after finding out. I worked in the same place for 3 years and never told anyone. It’s none of their business really, I went in, did my job, and went home. I didn’t really socialize with any of the clicks at work because I know they all talked about you behind your back. It was just that kind of work place. At the time I was managing my illness a lot better, until I had my relapse anyway. Even then I didn’t exactly explain what it was, just that I had to take a medical leave. It was such a highly secured location because we dealt with incoming tax’s the employers were more paranoid than I was and I didn’t want to give them a reason to fire me.

But if you’re in a place at work where you feel your colleagues will respect you, even after the information then go ahead and explain it to them. Your work place may be extremely different than what I’m used to.

2 Likes

i would wait…not everyone feels comfortable with that information :blue_book:
take care :alien:

2 Likes

This service aims to help patients to get back into the community and get jobs and lead a life like any other. I have not told anyone apart from my manager. I guess your right. I thought the contract was for three months but I later got told that was a misunderstanding and it’s only two weeks. I’m covering for someone on annual leave.

So your recruitment agent screwed you over. That makes me slightly angry.

2 Likes

I would wait…I always had thoughts of some act/speech that I think is “great,wonderful”,in the end when I actually did it,it was not so great,wonderful or appreciated because it means nothing to another person,like @sohare1981 said unless everyone or most people like you and are sincere,then do it,seriously,or just forget about the idea and move on

1 Like

I was a little pissed off too but to be honest I get paid more than what I was getting before so the money should last me a bit. Plus I’m working full time rather than partime.

Still, if they like you, they’ll ask you back when something else turns up, think of it as a chance to get your foot in the door there. But… grrrrrrr.

1 Like

I’d also wait. Even for knowledgeable compassionate people, knowing you have sz can change how they see you.

1 Like

Yeah Ish , I wouldn’t say anything.

1 Like

You might find it interesting to discuss it with the staff if you are only on a temporary assignment.

1 Like