Should I go to school if I'm schizo-affective

see I want to go to college but I’m not sure if its a smart Idea since I got shcizo-affective shcizophrenia. So what should I do try and go to school or just wait it out.

As long as you’re stable, go for it. If the workload is too stressful, cut back on classes and try to do it over a longer period Of time

3 Likes

Hmm Yea but what do you call stable?

1 Like

For me I can function almost normally because I have the right medication. That is what stable means.

1 Like

@VanDam exactly. The question would be, do you feel up to it?

I think it depends on the person. You won’t know unless you try! Can you afford college? Trade schools are also very awesome, and usually much cheaper and shorter.

1 Like

I sort of do feel up for but I can’t get myself to get up and sign myself up for the classes.

1 Like

If you can concentrate under time pressure, and if you feel it won’t make your mental health worse and if you really want to, I say go for it…

1 Like

I have a moderate form of schizo-affective disorder (depressive type) and haven’t done crap in 10 years at all. I’m thinking of when I’m ready 1-2 years from now (assuming I quit the caffeine and heal) of doing online school in computer science like from WGU. It’s the only affordable option and I want to be a business owner. I thought about a local cal state (brick and mortar) but I don’t think I can drive there (or afford the rent) and it’s more money. The classes might be hit or miss there, but the curriculum looks more satisfactory at a cal state to me, but I’m not a computer expert by any means. I would prefer computer engineering over computer science just because of the hands on work and engineering methods involved, but I think I’m too old and sick/disabled/lazy.

My brother thinks before I do all that that I need to work on hygiene, clean my room, and do lots of baby steps like change clothes and groom myself.

How can I expect to work at home if I never want to leave the house or leave the house like interacting with others and working on my social skills unless I do remote work from home or am self-employed?

I’m worried about failure and I had a extremely bad and traumatic experience happen to me in college that I keep bringing up and obsessing/thinking about – so I think online is better. I had a bad drug trip 9 years ago and it felt like I got abducted by aliens or ‘taken’ and woke up severely dissociated and schizophrenic. I keep repeating myself and I never remembered or got answers. It was pretty scary for me and traumatizing like PTSD. So, for me, I don’t think I ever want to go back to school – at least in physical format. It’s not worth it.

I get SSI: $950 a month. After rent and food, that leaves me with 250 a month or 60 bucks a weeks to live on – entertainment, drinks, cigs, etc. Medical is covered. But I want more. I’m 31 years old and even if I never make a lot, anything is better than $1000 a month. I want to work. I want meaningful work.

2 Likes

Our local community college is conducting all it’s classes online. If you are really uncomfortable around people online classes might be the way to go.

2 Likes

Well, you got ambition, that’s the first step.

2 Likes

Do it if you dont have severe negative symptoms. I finished university while on Abilify, did 5 semesters after my sz diagnosis and one semester before sz. I have a degree in kinesiology. I wanted to specialize in physiotherapy, its a master 1 year extra, but didn’t have the grades. My university advisor told me to redo the classes that have lowest grades but I said fk it I am 30 y.o. I just want to work.

2 Likes

Now on Risperdal all I can do is gaming on my PC with friends and video chatting with friends, rarely I hangout with them.

1 Like

Just dont do like me, stopped my meds while studying for 2 years. I could have finished on time 3 years but bcz of what I did, it took 7 years lol

2 Likes

I feel like online classes might be good but I never know when I could get a break down like the ones I get.

1 Like

Well, I mean this in a nice way but, you never know until you try.

It’s not too difficult to apply for admission and register for a class at my community college. If you need help, you can call the Disabled Students Program and they’ll help you.

Taking units is as expensive as hell these days. I’m paying about $200 for one class while in 1990 I was paying like about $70 or $80. Textbooks are outrageously expensive too.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.