Should I ask my pdoc if it would be wise to quit pregabalin?

I take it for anxiety (100mg bi-daily).

Thing is I am not sure if it helping or not. It has certainly made me gain weight. If I did quit it it would be dr led and done very slowly (the gabapentinoids are buggars to come off).

To be honest it isn’t a deal breaker for me. If my doc says stay on it that is fine. Will ask at my next pdoc appointment

2 Likes

How long have u taken it?

1 Like

About 3 years now

If its not working i would quit it.

1 Like

Thing is I don’t know if it is working or not. Obviously I can tell it hasn’t cured my anxiety but maybe it is helping a little bit. Suppose quitting it would be the only way to test this

You have to feel it

That’s a tough call. On the one hand, if it is helping, I would hate to see what your anxiety is like without it. On the other hand, it honestly isn’t enough for you on its own. Might be time to ask about something different.

2 Likes

I think this is the major issue here.

Looking objectively at it would a doctor support removing an anxiolytics from someone who’s most unstable problem is anxiety

2 Likes

I don’t think they would remove them entirely, but may try to switch to something new. What have you already tried?

1 Like

Gabapentin/pregabalin, propranolol, SSRI and busparone.

Of these am still on Prozac and pregabalin.

Nb in the past have tried benzos but I don’t think this is even an option in the U.K. anymore. Moreover I get paradoxical agitation of diazepam - almost lost my ■■■■ in the supermarket

1 Like

I have been interested in anti-histamines but the use of these for anxiety hasn’t reached mainstream practice over here yet

1 Like

Benadryl is available over the counter in my country.

1 Like

Yeah I think it is here too. I think I would like to get my pdocs blessing first just in case it interacts with my seroquel (I heard that can have antihistamine properties)

1 Like

I suppose I could ask a pharmacist?

You could definitely ask a pharmacist if your doctor isn’t available.

1 Like