Setphania, naturally occuring dopamine antagonist

Has anyone tried this herb or the extracted l-stepholidine? its supposed to block D1/D2 receptor sites just like regular anti psychotic pills … I have ordered some supplements I will report here how it works when it arrives in the mail …

Thus, l-stepholidine shows efficacy like an “atypical” antipsychotic in traditional animal models predictive of antipsychotic activity and shows in vitro and in vivo D(1) agonism, and, if its rapid elimination does not limit its actions, it could provide a unique therapeutic approach to schizophrenia.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/51398014_The_antipsychotic_potential_of_l-stepholidine_-_A_naturally_occurring_dopamine_receptor_D1_agonist_and_D2_antagonist

1 Like

Best of luck. Be careful it doesn’t interact with your meds though. Please keep updated on how it works out for you.

Have you researched this? Mixing drugs that work on the same receptors can be dangerous.

The article is 12 years old. So nothing came from it I guess. :frowning:

Paging @naturallycured!

It seems to cause prolactin elevation like other antipsychotics.

Just because it’s natural doesn’t mean it’s necessarily safer.

1 Like

Got the stephania in capsule form now … Kan anyone find out how much Stepholidine % is contained within the stephania herb? since I guesss only the Stepholidine is supposed to be the akaloid that blocks D receptors. But i havent found any info about the % content of the actual herb …

I tried a little of the powdered stephania herb in tea and it feels a little like the regular anti psychotic pills in that you get a little bit of that heavy feeling you get from regular antipsychotics of relief- of the psychotic symptoms/pain/aggetation becoming weaker/diminished … will have To experiment more but it doesnt just relax you like a regular relaxing herb it actually help the psychotic symptoms

Bump… Any more info on this stuff? Did you keep taking it? I’m just now getting into reading about it, and have some capsules on order from Amazon. Anyone else here tried it?

The FDA lists the following
herbs as possibly containing, or being adulturated with, aristolochic acid (a potent nephrotoxin and carcinogen) – guang fang ji
(aristolochia fangchi), mutong (akebia), xi xin (asarum), chuan mu tong (clematis), wei ling xian (clematis chinennsis), han fang ji
(stephania).

2 Likes

Woa. Good find @firemonkey:astonished:

Why would someone mess with supplements if they do the same thing as meds lol You will still have meds side effects especially negative and cognitive symptoms.

1 Like

From all the research papers I read, the attraction of this stuff was supposed to be that it is a strong D1 agonist, which was theorized to treat the cognitive SZ effects at the same time and in the same molecule as the D2 antagonism for treating the positives. I don’t know about its effect on negatives, but i don’t have a large problem with those since I take gabapentin…

Stimulating D1 and any dopamine receptor causes positive symptoms. APs block most or all dopamine receptors, D1 to D5.

1 Like

Not true:

Read the paper, it specifically lays out how A) SZ positives are caused by D2 misfunction, and B) even a full D1 agonist is safe and well tolerated by SZers with no appreciable worsening of positive symptoms.

Well you should become a psychiatrist as you know more than them all :joy:

They can easily make a med that stimulates D1 and blocks D2. All APs block all dopamine receptors and that’s what works. Don’t try to change what works. Stimulating D1 WILL cause positive symptoms. Why don’t you try it and tell us lol Its your body, your risks.

Many ppl here post articles without reading them.
Your article says D1 IN PFC, not somewhere else.
That’s already known and my psychiatrist told me the problem with all meds is that they block dopamine in ALL the brain. Your herb similarly will stimulate D1 in ALL the brain which WILL cause positive symptoms.

Also we don’t care about cognitive symptoms most don’t have it. We need something for negative symptoms, not cognitive which is the least important.

btw I took Wellbutrin which is a dopamine agonist and guess what, it did not help at all, only made me manic and suicidal. If the solution was that easy we would have already had meds for negative symptoms long time ago. Reality is more complicated.

Negative symptoms are not really/only caused by meds btw, some here have sz without positive symptoms, only negatives. It was called Simple Schizophrenia before.

Aziz, my psychiatrist took me off Wellbutrin cause it wasn’t having much of an effect on my ADHD. He just prescribed me Strattera reluctantly and told me to watch out for signs of psychosis. I am on a sub-therapeutic dose and pharmacist doesn’t think there would be issues. In an article I read online, it says there are some cases in which people prescribed with stimulant or non-stimulant medications for ADHD have helped with negative symptoms.

1 Like

My psychiatrist won’t prescribe me anything, he said there is no meds for negatives and to stop playing with my meds and with supplements.