Schizophrenia: a misunderstood "illness"

“They” are trying to help.
http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/omb/budget/fy2014/assets/health.pdf

I’m not fond of being in society, but I don’t think it’s the source of the problem. The “madness” is a worldwide issue. If we can’t work together, then separation will be the natural outcome.

I take my meds because I know I can conform to be like everybody else that way. Isn’t that depressing that I’m not free to be myself? I’m not allowed be my true me. Psychiatry won’t let me be me. I must be like everyone else. F**k that!

1 Like

We’re ALL brainwashed. Nobody can think for themselves because we’re not allowed to think differently. We must conform. Mind ur own business! My mind is part of my body and it belongs to Me!! Who are u to tell me I’m crazy simply because I think differently to you? Stigma ~ Brainwashing ~ Denial

1 Like

Mairead_blossom-You’re a really good guy I can tell. I believe they think we’re a danger to society when we’re off our meds. That’s what I was told. And a psychotic break can be damaging long term. Oh well it sucks but just the way it is. Practice the serenity prayer. Go to an emotions anonymous meeting. Talk about it there and see what they think. Call me brainwashed but all 6 times Ive been institusionailzed I was off my medication. Don’t want to go back now. Well I’m done here.

If it was just about thinking ‘differently’ I might agree but when you add distress and difficulty with functioning to the mix…as well as in a smallish minority of cases behaviour that may be harmful to others, then it’s a whole different ball game.

1 Like

I think mental illness is a social construct designed to explain delinquency and behavioral conflicts within a disciplinary-oriented society.

2 Likes

And I believe Society makes Us become mentally ill by it’s very structure.

1 Like

It represses the “weak” and locks them away. This is unjust!!

1 Like

I often doubted in the early days. I would change schools and hope they didn’t find "the evidence. "
I would do OK for a while, have another break. And switch schools again. This happened 4 times. Each time I would deny everything and move on.

Then I got a job and the same thing happened 4 times. At 53, my parents visited me in the hospital and said, "they don’t understand why this keeps happening.

I just finally figured out with a good pdoc after 20 that sucked, and many bad meds to accept “it”. Whatever.
I just figured out call me whatever you want, but give me Seroquel.
Problem solved.
But if there is no problem, be happy move on, and live a long life and forget all about it.

Here’s my Book: www.maireadmeade.com

2 Likes

Well it’s good you’re doing something creative to express your feelings.

I agree with you now on “who’s to say we’re crazy…and they’re not the crazy ones” but I still think medication is important for us to take. that’s just what I believe though.

Then, I am Paranoia. I still have Human Rights!

1 Like

Paranoia is Fear. Of course I’m afraid now, after 18 years in the System. I am systemised. We all are. Everyone is. We need to change the System because it is Flawed.

1 Like

If you don’t like something, change it. If you can’t change it, change your attitude.

Maya Angelou

3 Likes

Nope. Not doing psychosis again.

They were in my head telling me ■■■■ like they were going to torture me forever. And someone was like “it’s all your fault now.”

And then there was this one mental vision they gave me of the great and powerful fanged face that looms over the entire globe. You should have seen it grin.

At one point they began to make me think the guy in the back seat was draining the blood from my legs. They were in agony i had walked so long.

No sleep, no rest, all pain and fear the whole time. They started saying they were doing wierd ■■■■ to my family when they went in the bathroom. And that if i did nothing they would all be hurt badly, and i didn’t know what to do so didn’t do anything, and they threw their hands up and yelled in my head “thats it! your family is screwed now and it’s on you!”

The entire experience was horrendous.

It’s not a ■■■■■■■ gift in the least. It was torture.

And no it isn’t a disease really. But it does need to stop.

2 Likes

I wonder that Bipolar and Schizophrenia in women are not often hormone disorders and thyroid that goes undetected. I just notice it always gets worse in teenage growth spurts and when my mom turned 43.

my aim is to feel well everyday and im doing that. im looking and treating myself as number one

There’s evidence that estrogen could play a protective roll in delaying the onset of schizophrenia. It’s shown in that women get it later than men and women have a bump in the risk of getting it around menopause.

I wish that this gift had come with a receipt so I could return it or at least exchange it for something more useful.

10-96