Schizo-affective doesn't sound as serious

when I say it. it just doesn’t have the bite schizophrenia does. originally I was diagnosed schizophrenic, but my new pdoc thinks im schizoaffective.

Im not real worried about the new diagnosis, my moods are pretty stable now. just a little evening depression on days I have too much time on my hands.

without the meds though, I would agree im sza…im a moody person, very up and down, with positive symptoms of psychosis as well. sza is probably the right diagnosis for me.

10 Likes

sza also has a better prognosis than sz I think? Or at least that’s what I’ve read

2 Likes

im not sure about prognosis. I’ve read the same thing here. im doing pretty good at the moment. feeling good again. I had some anhedonia or depression for like 14 months…but im better now. enjoying things a little more.

also im going to be getting my Invega shot every 5 weeks now, instead of every 4. same dose. my pdoc agrees im doing better. im hoping to get more energy physically to help me get through my workouts.

Welcome to the SzA club, lol? I’m schizoaffective, too. I’m bipolar type.

I wouldn’t say it isn’t as severe as schizophrenia. Mine can be pretty severe at times. When I was in my psychotic break, oh boy, that was a nightmare. I was so close to killing myself EVERY DAY.

I missed all of my meds (Vraylar, Lamictal, and Zoloft) on Saturday, and that was a wild ride. I almost went to the hospital after just one missed dose.

I think it depends on the person and also depends on the time in their life as to label it as severe or not severe. Mine isn’t so severe when I’m properly medicated, but off medication I am extremely ill.

6 Likes

I’d never say it was less serious. It’s symptoms of schizophrenia plus a mood disorder. So schizophrenia plus.

6 Likes

I’d rather be schizoaffective than schizophrenic. Some of the high functioning ones seem to be leading the dream life to me when they’re stable. I feel like I just got the worst luck with my mi.

1 Like

I have sza bipolar type and on meds im doing very well - so much that i get tempted to come off meds as i don’t feel i need them anymore. but in the past when i didn’t take meds i was very ill. I wouldn’t say sza is less severe than sz because my symptoms are not only some sz traits but mood swings as well - an my depression without meds is debilitating that i can’t function at all

2 Likes

I think it has a better prognosis on meds but off meds it’s just as debilitating??? Maybe because I’ve experienced something like that as a sza.

2 Likes

Sza sounds more serious to me. Schizophrenia AND bipolar symptoms? Noooo thank you

5 Likes

I was once diagnosed schizoaffective when I was taking a drug which caused mania, anger, and some depression. Most of the time I’ve been paranoid schizophrenic with periodic depression.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.