Saw my pdoc

Saw my pdoc. She is weaning me off Zyprexa, and putting me on loxapine. She also gave me a prn this time: propranolol. One bad thing - my blood pressure was 167/117! :astonished: so I just sent a message to my primary dr about it.

8 Likes

I hope this medication works out. Can you tell me how propranolol is? Such as side effects or anything, I might have to go on it.

2 Likes

Sure. I pick it up tomorrow afternoon. I was told it’ll slow my heart down, which will give me less anxiety.

2 Likes

Thanks pianogal.

2 Likes

Sounds like a plan. Good idea on catching up with your regular doc about that blood pressure! Hope it all goes well for you.

2 Likes

Thanks @rogueone!

2 Likes

I’ve been thinking of you and hoping your pdoc appointment would go well. I hope the Loxapine works out for you! I tried Propranolol for about three weeks, but it made my blood pressure go too low and I had to stop it. I don’t have hypertension, so I guess the med was too much for me. I hope it works for you though!

2 Likes

Thanks @anon39736208!!

1 Like

Found your thread! Glad you’re changing! Also glad you have a prn! What’s your Propranolol dose?

This is good news @CoCo , the propranolol will lower your anxiety and the Loxapine will hopefully get rid of your positives.

Much love and good luck

2 Likes

Good luck pianogal!! The zyprexa probably increased your BP. I was hypertensive on it too

1 Like

Thanks @DNA and @Winterblues!

2 Likes

@CoCo I don’t mean to worry you but I was curious about loxapine so I searched it here https://www.nami.org/Learn-More/Treatment/Mental-Health-Medications/loxapine-(Loxitane) under side effects says low blood pressure and faintness. Why would your pdoc give you 2 meds that lower blood pressure? That’s a dangerous combo! Just looking out for you!

Today my blood pressure was 167/117. It’s usually mildly high but now it’s worse. I think that’s why she thought it was ok.

1 Like

Do you have a bp cuff you can use at home? Or do you live close to a pharmacy with a bp machine you can periodically use?

Okay sorry for interfering with your business

I have a manual no cuff but have only done it on others. I guess I could try to do it myself.

I didn’t take it like that at all. No worries @Winterblues, I’m thankful for the heads up

1 Like

Can you teach sometime how to do it for you? Do you live alone?

I know wrist cuffs aren’t always the most accurate, but I use this one. I’ve tested it at all my appointments for the last few months (like ten appointments) and it’s pretty accurate assuming you’re following directions (not moving and keeping the monitor level with your heart).

I bought 2 different wrist cuffs from amazon and both were highly inaccurate so I gave up. I think I could teach my husband to read blood pressure.

1 Like