Running out of Therapy

I want to keep going to therapy, it’s been really good for me, but I feel like I’m running out of things to talk about…

My therapist says that considering the fact that I dealt with everything alone, I handle stuff pretty well, so when I bring up a topic she usually just says you dealt with it the best you could and better than i would’ve thought and then we go on to the next topic.

I don’t want to go into my childhood, I had some traumatic experiences that I know messed me up, but I feel like I don’t want anyone to know what happened to me out of spite? I know going to therapy is something I have to keep doing just to keep the insight on what’s going on, but I feel so boring now that I’m doing better.

I sit around all day and do nothing, just avoiding my family and spending time with my boyfriend until the day starts over. I don’t really know how to explain to my therapist that I know I have to keep going even when I don’t have anything maybe to talk about.

What should I do? Keep going, quit, really delve into the bad stuff that happened? I don’t know.

2 Likes

Glad therapy has been helpful for you @nobodyhere. Wondering if you go every week. If so, maybe you can go every other week?

I go around once a month actually, which you would think would be enough time to have stuff to talk about, but so little happens in my day to day that I can end up with some pretty empty sessions.

1 Like

I think that this was one of my issues with therapy.
I ran out of things to discuss.

My therapist said that I couldn’t handle the full 45 minute sessions so she shaved off 15 minutes every time I saw her.

I’m starting to believe her.

I might return to her.

1 Like

Gotcha. I go weekly and sometimes struggle to come up with things to talk about, but my therapist is pretty good at keeping things going with small talk.

If you’re running out of stuff to talk about, I wouldn’t dive right in to the childhood stuff just for the sake of conversation. That should be something saved for when you’re more comfortable exploring those themes.

Yeah you’re right, I mean I’d like to talk about it with her eventually, I just hate to look like a victim y’know? So maybe I’ll start with working on that with her and then eventually get down to the nitty gritty. Thanks.

1 Like

Good luck and hope it will work for you!

1 Like

I have the same problem. But my therapist doesn’t make me stay or suggests topics
My life is the same everyday and very boring.
So she doesn’t push me for info and when I tell her I’m done she is ok with it
I have a hour with her but I never go past 30 minutes
I can only talk about my cats so much :joy:
I just can’t trust anyone with my pain it’s just way to personal and embarrassing

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.