Risperidone anhedonia?

I was recently changed from fluonxol to 4mg risperidone and started feeling less pleasure almost numb. I had a relapse so dunno if it’s caused by medication or still in recovery from psychosis

I know I felt numb while off medication. I think it’s the schizophrenia causing it.

Never had anhedonia before pal…can’t really comment on it tbh

I was in psychosis for about 11 months before I was put on invega sustenna. Right about the time I started this medication is the time when I felt unable to feel pleasure and enjoy any activities like listening to music, etc.
So for me it was the medication that caused it and not the psychosis

Only supplements have helped me.

I was just having the same experiences with Risperdal. I took 1 mg for about 3 weeks, and the longer I took it, the more flat I felt, and gradually couldn’t derive pleasure from music or anything else. I’m one day off the Risperdal now and can enjoy music again - although I will speak to my pdoc regarding trying another antipsychotic, as I’m not sure if I’m exactly ‘stable.’

My moods seem to be all over the place, sometimes, and I feel like I have to constantly control my thoughts, particularly when I’m around people/family. This doesn’t sound normal, does it?

Risperidone gave me anhedonia and made me stare into empty space. Prior to taking it, i was more lively. But the effect of this med depends on each individual. So it may work for someone else.

1 Like

It works for me. I have a full range of feelings and pleasure. I took lithium for 12 years and was kinda flat. But did therapy and had friends and was pretty resilient. After Prolixin I was very insecure for the two year change to risperidone. That new generation of meds helped me out.

1 Like

I will keep the dose for six months then discuss other options with my pdoc as could be psychosis aftermath.

1 Like

From my Point i think Risperidon destroys Feelings. You can play in a Robocop Sience Fiction Movie.

2 Likes

Lol that could be it but will give the medication time to work otherwise will go back to fluonxol

Both are very old medication . I dont know your Symptoms but Abilify or Solian are less sedating .

You could ask your psychiatrist to decrease your dose.I’m on 2 mg risperidone and I’m fine.

Where I live they usually give Fluanxol over another AP to patients that have problems with motivation & energy, since it seems to have some activating effects. Risperidone is known for causing anhedonia & is likely more sedating than Fluanxol, so the switch might suck in the beginning before things level out. Talk to your pdoc about it if the feeling sticks for too long & becomes too troublesome!

From my Point of View Burbropion is activating

1 Like

Yes. I’m on 4.75mg and I am disinterested in everything. Life is uncomfortable.