Risperidone and prolactin levels?

I was on one mg (0.5 mg 2x a day) and I started lactating. It was so bad they switched me to quetiapine.

When I was on Risperdal, my prolactin levels were very high (went up a full cup size in 3 months lol). Eventually I got put on Abilify for my mood problems as well as to lower my prolactin levels. Just recently got switched to Geodon instead as the worst side effect I experienced was the weight gain, gave me extreme body image issues that I dealt with the wrong way. It made me pretty lethargic too, and though that was bearable on its own it only made the weight problems worse. :two_hearts:

I’ve been on Risperdal forever and I’ve always had high prolactin levels. That’s why I have zero sex drive.

1 Like

do u have extrapyramidal symptoms at 3mg risperidone ? u take like trihexyphenidyl or benztropine to fix it ?

1 Like

I take 800mg of Amisulpride and it’s very similar in that it raises prolactin levels.

I hope I do not grow breasts and start leaking milk everywhere.

Does not sound like it would be fun being a guy and all.

The only reason I take the risk is that this drug is weight neutral.

I tried Risperidone years ago and it made me very anxious. Not sure why I had that reaction.

Is it true that the prolactin can decrease sex drive? Not that it matters for me at the moment I guess. :-/

Amisulpride is worse when it comes to qtc prolongation. [1] And that kind of dose(800mg) would definitely
worsen your qtc interval. Have u checked it through ECG test ?

Here r the symptoms of high prolactin - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperprolactinaemia

[1] https://www.kcl.ac.uk/ioppn/news/events/2013/september/Leucht-2013-15-antipsychotics-meta-analyses.pdf

Thanks for posting. I think I am ok with those symptoms at the moment.

I have not had an ECG test for about a year. All I had when I started it was a blood test to check my prolactin levels and that was it.

No EPS at 3mg or my maximum of 4mg

1 Like

sounds good, i dont want to take those anticholinergics for EPS as they worsen cognition specially memory.

1 Like

Is the memory impairment permanent? I took Procyclidine for about a year when I was on Haldol.

No, memory improves once u stop the drug.

Same is the case with benzos, once u stop them, memory improves eventually

Take an antipsychotic that doesn’t raise prolactin, e.g. Seroquel, Clozapine, Abilify, Saphris.

Apart from clozapine, others r not much effective, can’t take it. I like the idea that risperidone improves cognition(executive functioning, working memory)

Here’s list of meds(From most to least effective)

Clozapine –0·88 (–1·03 to –0·73)
Amisulpride –0·66 (–0·78 to –0·53)
Olanzapine –0·59 (–0·65 to –0·53)
Risperidone –0·56 (–0·63 to –0·50)
Paliperidone –0·50 (–0·60 to –0·39)
Zotepine –0·49 (–0·66 to –0·31)
Haloperidol –0·45 (–0·51 to –0·39)
Quetiapine –0·44 (–0·52 to –0·35)
Aripiprazole –0·43 (–0·52 to –0·34)
Sertindole –0·39 (–0·52 to –0·26)
Ziprasidone –0·39 (–0·49 to –0·30)
Chlorpromazine –0·38 (–0·54 to –0·23)
Asenapine –0·38 (–0·51 to –0·25)
Lurasidone –0·33 (–0·45 to –0·21)
Iloperidone –0·33 (–0·43 to –0·22)

I seem to have 2 options - amisulpride or risperidone

Is taking 3 antipsychotics ok ? clozapine, abilify, risperidone ?

Abilify is just to reduce prolactin.

1 Like

I take three AP’s. Risperdal, Seroquel and Geodon. It’s all pretty effective for me.

I first took risperidone at 2mg which was fine then increased to 6mg (my psychotic symptoms worsened at the time) which made me lactate and kill my libido. Im on 4mg now and i still lactate but only around period time. Risperidone has worked wonders for me mentally so i havent changed but apparently most antipsychotics do this i heard

Are you male or female?

1 Like

Pdoc is against me taking 3 antipsychotics.

He wants me to remain on clozapine 225mg and add risperidone max 1mg.

Can’t add abilify. Maybe I will have discussion about it with him soon.

Consult with your doctor but I think it’s fine as long as the doses are just right.

ru male/female ?