Risks of developing mental health problems if brother or sister affected

Date:
September 19, 2016
Source:
European College of Neuropsychopharmacology (ECNP)
Summary:
What is the risk of developing a mental disorder if a brother or sister has the condition? Now a large survey using data from all patients hospitalized in psychiatric wards in Israel, and their siblings, has given some answers: having a sibling with schizophrenia increases your risk of developing the condition by a factor of x10, with increased risks of developing bipolar disorder and other mental disorders. Similar increases are seen with siblings of patients with bipolar disorder.

I am not sure about heightened chance of diagnoses but certainly I think some symptoms can run in families.
In my family’s case it’s paranoia though the pathways to it are different. In my case it was bullying , my mother it was through drinking and with my brother I think using cannabis etc didn’t help. I guess we were all prone to paranoia but it took different things to set it off.

I have 4 siblings 3 under 20 and one 23 years old. I am positive one of these guys is going to get sz just like me it’s only a matter of time. My dad had strong genetics for schizophrenia it’s just bound to happen.