Remembrance Day

It’s all over the news here (Canada). My grandfather died before I was born but was a medic in WW2 and saw some fcked up sht. He wouldn’t talk about it with my dad so I don’t have any stories. I do have some German money from the time period that he brought back with him.

8 Likes

Belgium is pretty much the battlefield of Europe. We remember them.

2 Likes

We call it Veterans day in the U.S., buy yeah, we have have a holiday on the same day. I think yours is specific to wwI and wwII(correct me if I’m wrong) ours is just honoring military veterans in general.

Don’t forget to remember those who have served today!

6 Likes

It’s the end of WW1

2 Likes

WW1 officially ended on the 11th day of the 11th month at 11:00am (November 11 @ 11:00am, 1918) so that is why it is all over the news right now, it is about 11:30am here right now

4 Likes

I did not know that. That is why we have the holiday on the same day. I never knew the day picked had to do with the end of WW1. You learn something new every day. Thanks for the info @Headspark .

5 Likes

Live and learn eh, lol. No problemo, you’re welcome @Bowens

2 Likes

It’s 1142 here. I remember hearing the 11th day of the 11th month at 11:00 am. But I didn’t remember what war it was.

2 Likes

Yeah, now that you say that phrase, it does sound familiar.

2 Likes

We (US) used to call it Armistice Day. I don’t remember when I why it was changed to Veterans’ Day/

1 Like

It was based on the armistice that was signed at the end of the WW1. I’m not American and I don’t know why they changed it to Veterans Day but my guess would be that it is more inclusive of all veterans from all wars, not just those from WW1.

3 Likes

I would guess this as well.

1 Like

that’s why I’m thinking to quit this site