Reducing Voices by Direct Dialogue

What do people think of this approach - read the following story:

One central idea of the recovery movement is to work with voices to accept them somehow. I have often heard that voices are associated with life events, people we know and things that have happened to us. The fears from these experiences are being played back to us in the form of what we are hearing. The key to my partial recovery along these lines has been the power that the authority of the therapist has had in refuting what the influence of what voices were saying about or to me and how this suggests a new approach to dealing with them.

The first therapeutic step was along the line of the recovery movement: to try and involve the voices in some kind of self-dialogue and to work with what they were saying in a further attempt to make them go away. Crucially, here the voices told me I was to be punished for causing 9/11. Did I deserve this punishment? I said no, but my voices said otherwise.

My own voice was pitted against the various voices of the hallucination and neither one had power over the other. For every argument I could produce the voices had a criticism. One side had to win out and silence the voice but how was this to be done? The voices were at least as intelligent as I was, perhaps because they were emanating from my own mind, and the result was an impasse.

I experienced a constant fear of punishment that had to be tackled. This fear wore me down and as time went on my strength to fight the voice became more and more sapped and I was becoming submissive to the criticism. Standing up to the voice was becoming a problem and my existing debates with them were not working. Therefore, I started therapy.

Read the full story here:

1 Like

Some of my voices I was able to change my relationship with to a positive one. However the worst ones, the demons, no amount of attempted compromise or understanding on my part has been successful and still find the best way to cope with them is not to engage. So it depends I guess.

Wouldn’t professionals outside of a therapy session see it as being unwell?