Talking back to voices/Hearing voices

First time starting a thread so I apologize if I put it in the wrong section. So I was wondering if anyone has heard about this kinda new? approach to voices. Its called hearing voices, and its a type of therapy where they encourage you to literally speak-talk back to-your voices.
From what I read I you can be nice or bold when speaking to them, you ask then questions, you dictate when they can speak and when they have to leave you alone, what they can and can’t say.
Problem is, and I’m embarrassed but I’m way too scared of them to talk back and way way too scared to command them on what they can and can’t do. But some people said it really helped them, so I’m wondering if anyone here tried it, and if it worked or not.
Thanks for reading this.

2 Likes

I talk back to my voices all the time. And it varies sometimes it’s a nice conversation other times I tell them to ■■■■ off it really depends on the voice.

But I noticed I felt more control when I talked to/ challenged them

If I were you though I’d start slow with talking to them just because youre scared. And try to talk to voices that are less distressing first if you can.

I hope it works for you I wish you luck!

3 Likes

Hey thanks for replying. I know its stupid to be so afraid of the voices logically speaking since they’re apart of me but… I don’t know.
Anyways, thanks. I might try it, like easing into it , small steps first to kind of test the waters. Hopefully they won’t freak out on me.
Peace.

2 Likes

Hey man it’s ok to be scared voices say a lot of messed up ■■■■. I’d be lying if I said I didn’t have some that scare me half to death. But it’s a good step that you’re willing to face your fears! You got this!

2 Likes

I talk with my voices all the time. it’s better than just hearing voices.

2 Likes

When I was in CBT I learned that I was ultimately “the boss” in my relationship to my voices. One in particular is very domineering and has had me in a sobbing heap on the bathroom floor many times, but not at all in the past year! After initially starting the process of turning it around, it took about five years to feel almost free from the bullying…
For me the important thing was not to get rid of or deny what I experience, but to change it from something so destructive.
You can do it. :heart:

5 Likes

talking to my voices, quiets them. that’s the only benefit so far. I haven’t been able to have a conversation with them really with like a give and take, I can only listen for so long before I start talking over them again.

My voices talk to me in Spanish. Like they tell me I’m going to sleep on the floor. “Vas a dormir en el piso”. Or “Vas a llamar tu hijo.” You’re going to call your son. I’m tired of it. I’m tired of everything. I don’t sleep. Maybe two hours a day.

I’ve talked to the voices at times. I don’t know if it helped me (can’t remember, think it helped some though). I can see how it would be helpful for sure.

Also, even when I was in my bedroom, my parents could hear me and it bothered them so I stopped doing it. I think I would also cry all the time so that upset them too. So I coudn’t continue to talk to them because my parents would get stressed about it and stress me out.

I think I used to drive around and talk to them too. That did help i think. It was helpful just to get out the feelings I was having about everything they said and did to me. Journaling is helpful to me too and writing poetry.

The thing is, they never answered back. They would talk about me and terrible things happening. It’s all really complicated and confusing to think about. I still hear voices too, but I try to just ignore them. I hear a lot less now.

I suggest trying it. It could really help you.

I talk back to myself all the time and I find myself hysterically funny. HAHAHAHA I just have to write that down…

1 Like

Thanks everyone. Been a while since I posted cuz I’ve been paranoid lately. People following me and hating me for no reason. Ben getting worst to be honest. Anyways thanks again to all who replied

I am scared to talk to my voices. I know if they hear me, they will hurt me.

1 Like

I have talked back and taken control over one in particular that was constantly berating me. It was 24/7 of foul-mouthed criticism, on and on. Sometimes he would just be low in the background, but at times he would get loud and it was exhausting. When I actually realized that my brain was generating that voice it sickened me that I would allow myself to talk to myself that way and I just decided I wasn’t going to allow that mean man to talk to me like that anymore. In effect I told him if he doesn’t have anything nice to say don’t say anything at all. And for the most part he is quiet now. So yes it’s possible to talk back and control your voices at least sometimes.

3 Likes

Yeah, sounds like me. Terrified of the voices and still trying to work up enough courage to do so after reading positive experiences from posters here who have tried and succeeded. I need some courage juice or something. Lol.

1 Like

My voices talk to me mostly in Spanish tho lately they’ve been talking to me in English

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.