Reconsidering

I’m starting to double think the major again. :frowning: I feel like I’ve lost so much of my cognitive ability. I am having so much trouble with this program, and it’s only Computer Science 2. I’m not sure if I could handle Calculus 2 or upper-level computer science courses based on how much I am struggling with CS2 and my Discrete Mathematics class. Maybe I should focus on getting disability and getting back on my feet mentally before I try something this strenuous again? :disappointed_relieved:

It’'s a tough one. Taking the time to get your head right is a good way to go but depends on your situation. After psychosis they really pushed me into returning to work and I just wasn’t ready. New to meds and dealing with it all. In hindsight I wish I took more time to get my headspace better.

5 Likes

Look at it this way, it’s toward the end of the semester right before finals, the material gets more difficult, more reading, studying, testing. Not much space to make up bad grades. Don’t doubt yourself during this time. This is when I always did. What kept me going was thinking there is only like 2 months, then you get that big break. You may like calculus more than computer science, even if you go by what others say. We people living with schizophrenia don’t follow the norm. I always found I did better in areas that other students couldn’t stand, made me feel even more diff lol like I couldn’t relate.

3 Likes

Well, the problem is, one of my huge areas of loss is in math. I took AP calculus last in high school, which was 6 years ago, on top of that. :frowning: I feel very stressed.

Focus on your classes, your homework, your exams that are right in front of you. You can get through it. So what if you don’t get straight As. Just do your best. The weight will be lifted from your shoulders come summer, and you can breathe and give yourself a mental break. School is absolutely worth it. While no easy feat at all, you should be proud of yourself.

1 Like

Does your school have tutors, a lpc to help you get by with all the stress? I used to go to them 1-2 times a week. The lpc helped students with disabilities and gave me the options to have certain accommodations under the ADA. Some I used were, a student in the class would take notes for me and didn’t know it was me they were doing it for, teachers emailed me the lesson, extended time and review on paper, took tests in a separate room. The weekly check-in was the most beneficial to me because all you do is talk about is school and how you can improve things. I wasn’t strong at any subjectbut when there’s a will there is a way.

I also used a tape recorder

Wow AP Calculus! that right there shows you are smart! Don’t give up

1 Like

You could always try another program if this one isn’t working out. I know the online computer science program at snhu only goes up to calc 1 with a few other lower level math courses mixed in

1 Like

the problem is mostly that I can’t do basic algebra anymore, even

1 Like

Oh, maybe you need a refresher, ever go on Khan academy online? I can’t deal with numbers in my head like I used to either, but still getting the concept down is helpful. It took me 8 years to finish college so this is a tough situation, if I had to do it all over, I would have focused on my mental health, and then get a degree I would have found a career in. Now I’m stuck paying back all the loans and isolated from everything. So if you have been considering this isn’t what you’re meant to do, do what is in your heart

2 Likes

Before you consider the career isn’t for you, really do your research because half the time what you learn in class isn’t as hard as the job. Take all the factors into consideration, read your own books, watch videos on your own. Be your own teacher

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.