Realistic prospects?

Hi out there,

what are realistic prospects if you’re diagnosed with schizophrenia? It seems to be a fact that we can’t recover from it and that makes pretty much anything worse.

What does it mean to live with sz after years? How is the condition affecting one? Can you work again in better jobs? What about a partner?

It seems that most people say everything gets fine, but my researches in the internet say something different.

3 Likes

It’s different for everyone.

From what I can see everyone with schizophrenia can do one or 2 major things, whereas someone without schizophrenia can handle a lot more.

For instance someone may have children but be unable to work. And on the other side someone without children would be able to work. Etc.

It might be a good idea to pick which major life item you want and concentrate on that.

Just my opinion.

1 Like

Nobody ever sends me these memos.

Discrimination is an ugly thing.

2 Likes

Things can get better. Much better. We should be optimistic about it. Maybe this is our cross to bear in some ways but it doesn’t mean life is over

Far from it

5 Likes

Like everhopeful said, the experience of schizophrenia is different for everyone. I think everhopeful makes a good point that it seems schizophrenics can do one or two or three major life things. There are exceptions to every rule though. I could tell you my experience with schizophrenia but you may have a totally different experience.

I mean people get it at different ages and they are at different places and situations in their lives. Some people have bad outcomes and others do better. Schizophrenics can work and can have
Husbands or wives or can live independently.

Personally, I got sick in 1980 at age 19. I suffered the first 2 1/2 years and lived in a group home and was hospitalized for 8 months. I didn’t really do too much in life in those first 2 1/2 years. Then in 1983 I was living in another group home and I got a job. I worked there 4 years and started going to school. I had a few friends and did a bunch of fun stuff. I moved into supported housing for 4 years. I lost my job and my housing when I was 27 and moved in with my dad.

Eventually, I got a couple more jobs that didn’t last very long, maybe three months. Then in 1990 I had a relapse and was hospitalized 3 or 4 times and then I was put in a temporary group home. I got another job and worked my ass off for three years and then got a job unloading trucks at Sears where again I worked my ass off and was the best worker on the 8 man crew.

I moved into another group home and stayed there four years while I worked at Sears, I was 29 when I moved in and I was employed the whole time I was there. I also went back to college and took two classes a semester for the five years I lived in the group home. Those were very productive years for me and I had a good friend and some other friends and we did a bunch of fun stuff.

In 1995 my older sister let me move into her nice duplex in a nice area of town. I spent the next 20 years moving around and working most of the time. I was living independently including living by myself for 6 years. In 2015 my mom died and I felt suicidal and ended up in the hospital for one day. I had to move back into the mental health system and moved into a group home again. I worked and went to school while I was there.

After a year and a half I moved into my current apartment and I’ve been here 7 years. I omitted a lot of details like all the fun things I did and the places I traveled. I also forgot to mention that I got a car in 1997 and have been driving ever since. So this was the course of my disease. Not everyone is as lucky as me.

Until 7 years ago I had an OK life, I socialized and had friends but I choose to isolate now. My disease has gotten way better, I was really sick there for awhile but now my symptoms aren’t so bad. I’ve been ill 45 years but I have many good memories and I haven’t given up yet, I still have hope I’ll get into the swing of life a little more and do more stuff.

5 Likes

I know it’s not easy, but try not to believe everything the internet research has shown. Because a lot of people (a significant minority) manage to do well despite the illness.

My first mistake was to believe the internet instead of my own willpower (this drove me into a deep depression my first few years post diagnosi)

1 Like

Many do recover, sz makes it worse temporarily.

Like neurotypicals, life is what you make of it. Some work/volunteer, some go to school, some stay in creative arenas, others have families.

Me, sz if a forethought now. I’m 45. I work part-time, do things I enjoy- mostly sports, and have lots of downtime. I’d like to have more earnings but taking on more stress is no good for me.

I have worked as a salesman for nine years now. Sales is great, I get to practice talking to others and get paid to do so. I had some really good jobs in the past but sabotaged them with drugs. Some regret there.

Sure, many on here have a significant other. Certainly not out of the question. Ask yourself, what type of person am I attracting? Figure this out and go after them.

To be honest that all doesn’t sound good if you already have a good education for a well paid job where you have to be concentrated and mistakes are a no-go.

The mind seems to go where our attention goes, and our life goes where the mind goes.

Improvement will come with a fresh breath of positivity and laughter each day. Eventually it will come if we keep trying. Hope you keep trying!

But if we focus on the bear trying to tear our face off, there is little likelihoods of happiness in our future. Let’s shine bright! it’s our choice… :slightly_smiling_face:

That really sounds nice but does say nothing about what actually gets better or not. You can believe me I’m doing anything I can for improvement.

1 Like

Symptoms can go away with the right AP.

The rest is outlook. I think so anyway.

My symptoms are roughly the same now as they were thirty years ago. I do have less, but that is mostly down to very good stress and symptom management. I cannot get rid of the SZ, but I have gotten extremely good at working around it and having a worthwhile life in spite of it. It is a manageable condition, but it takes sustained effort to do so.

2 Likes

All I’d say is things can definitely change. My illness has kinda morphed into what it is today. I recently got on a med too that took away the voices and delusions like ideas of reference and thought broadcasting. Idk if it was instability in my life, street drugs, or time, but the way I experience the world is totally different than I did when I first got ill. I’d say it’s easier now. I guess you could say I’ve put some work in, but it was just me doing what I could do to feel better. I go to a day program during the week, see a therapist once a week, and have stayed in antipsychotics for the past 8 years. Idk about other people, but my experience with schizophrenia has improved.

It’s a struggle every day. I’m not happy like I used to be before I got sick.