Radio- Chat vs Music

My radio show is meant to be more music than chat but its not working out like that atm :frowning: and i dont think people like a lot of chat over the radio, i think people just want to listen to good music. I might need to rethink my strategy, any ideas?

1 Like

Well…it all depends what audience you are looking for. I think there is a market for both music driven radio and talk radio. If it were talk radio though, I would think that that would take a lot of preparation and planning to make it be effective. I don’t think that it is easy to talk for a long time and keep things interesting.

Personally, I would go with more music. I think it is much simpler to pick out good music to play than try to engage an audience effectively with chat.

1 Like

I would think it would depend somewhat on your existing audiences tastes too. I have no idea who your audience is. You would know that better than me.

1 Like

Is it possible to play more music, but intersperse the radio interviews. Like say you talk for 10 minutes, then an hour of music, then 10 minutes of talk

I think unless people are really interested in the topic, they’re probably not willing to listen for too long before changing the station. Whereas if it’s in bite-sized pieces, they might take more interest

Just thinking of it as marketing tactic

2 Likes

I’m not a radio expert but I like @Cragger 's idea. I think making it more about the music and interspersing the talk in small, short segments might be worth a try. Maybe always at the top of the hour so listeners know when to expect it.

1 Like

Perfect!:+1:

1 Like

The Delilah radio program here in the states combines pop music with taking phone calls and talking about people’s love life. She’s been on for years and I usually find her interesting.

2 Likes

i’m working on a cop26 feature and my pal is going to be co-hosting it with me, its only an hour long but the chat & music looks like 50/50, i’m on at 3pm on Friday so Home time for kids/parents in their cars. i usually chat a bit and then play a song,

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.