Schizophrenia.com

Question about my diagnosis…

I was diagnosed with Paranoid Schizophrenia after an episode at work 10 yrs ago. Last year I moved to California. My new medical records say Schizophrenia (unspecified Type), in another document from my new caseworker states I am Schizoaffective. What is Schizoaffective? Do these differences matter?

Slightly. Sounds like me. It’s mainly terminology, but schizo-affective disorder has a mood component too it. Do you ever feel mania or bipolar?

1 Like

Or have spent a period of time depressed? There are two types of schizoaffective: bipolar type, and depressed type.

1 Like

No I never feel mania. Definitely never considered myself bipolar. I’m confused, cause when i was meeting with my caseworker I referred to my pass diagonals of Paranoid Schizophrenia and he said, he didn’t like to use that word “paranoid”. I really hate switching medical treatment. He did say I suffered also from depression. Is that what changing my diagnosis.

When the new DSM came out (in ~2015), the bible of psych diagnoses, they eliminated the types of sz (paranoid, catatonic, disorganized, etc) and just call all of them “Schizophrenia.” We’re now all under one big umbrella.diagnosis.

2 Likes

Thanks for the clarification @ThePlagueDoctor @johnnyboy1 . I was so confused.

2 Likes

There are two types of schizoaffective: depressive type, and bipolar type. Maybe you have the depressive type. That’s what I’m diagnosed as having

3 Likes

So everyone has Schizophrenia but get categorized further as Schizoaffective depending on mood.

@ThePlagueDoctor it seems strange they would eliminate the subtypes of schizophrenia. From everything I’ve read, there are five types of schizophrenia, each one with its own cluster of symptoms. I am a atypical, in a sense that I only hear voices

I didn’t realize that they had done this

1 Like

@dcragg65 please see second paragraph :slight_smile:
https://www.mentalhelp.net/schizophrenia/the-new-dsm-5/

2 Likes

No. You can be diagnosed as

1. Schizohrenia
    2a) Schizoaffective bipolar type
    2b) Schizoaffective depressed type

There are also other psychosis-spectrum illnesses one can be diagnosed with, such as Schizophreniform (spell)?, Brief Psychotic Disorder, Psychotic Disorder NOS (Not otherwise specified), etc. Hope this helps.