Question about my diagnosis…

I was diagnosed with Paranoid Schizophrenia after an episode at work 10 yrs ago. Last year I moved to California. My new medical records say Schizophrenia (unspecified Type), in another document from my new caseworker states I am Schizoaffective. What is Schizoaffective? Do these differences matter?

Slightly. Sounds like me. It’s mainly terminology, but schizo-affective disorder has a mood component too it. Do you ever feel mania or bipolar?

1 Like

Or have spent a period of time depressed? There are two types of schizoaffective: bipolar type, and depressed type.

1 Like

No I never feel mania. Definitely never considered myself bipolar. I’m confused, cause when i was meeting with my caseworker I referred to my pass diagonals of Paranoid Schizophrenia and he said, he didn’t like to use that word “paranoid”. I really hate switching medical treatment. He did say I suffered also from depression. Is that what changing my diagnosis.

When the new DSM came out (in ~2015), the bible of psych diagnoses, they eliminated the types of sz (paranoid, catatonic, disorganized, etc) and just call all of them “Schizophrenia.” We’re now all under one big umbrella.diagnosis.

2 Likes

Thanks for the clarification @anon40540444 @anon28145038 . I was so confused.

2 Likes

There are two types of schizoaffective: depressive type, and bipolar type. Maybe you have the depressive type. That’s what I’m diagnosed as having

3 Likes

So everyone has Schizophrenia but get categorized further as Schizoaffective depending on mood.

@anon40540444 it seems strange they would eliminate the subtypes of schizophrenia. From everything I’ve read, there are five types of schizophrenia, each one with its own cluster of symptoms. I am a atypical, in a sense that I only hear voices

I didn’t realize that they had done this

1 Like

@Cragger please see second paragraph :slight_smile:
https://www.mentalhelp.net/schizophrenia/the-new-dsm-5/

2 Likes

No. You can be diagnosed as

1. Schizohrenia
    2a) Schizoaffective bipolar type
    2b) Schizoaffective depressed type

There are also other psychosis-spectrum illnesses one can be diagnosed with, such as Schizophreniform (spell)?, Brief Psychotic Disorder, Psychotic Disorder NOS (Not otherwise specified), etc. Hope this helps.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.