Schizophrenia.com

Psychiatrists know sweet f all about schizophrfenia

I justr wanted t post this so mothers and fathers know the truth about these quacks.

1 Like

That’s why they call it “Practicing Medicine”
They just don’t really know.

1 Like

I think mine understands. He really cares about my well-being and I owe so much to him. I was a train wreck before I complied with treatment, and now I am greatly improved. I have been under stress lately and he is on top of things. I have been gagging and vomiting in my mouth and having to swallow it because my medicine is in that vomit and he said to resolve what is bothering me by apologizing to someone I offended and to call him if the symptoms dont go away after that. I might have to take yet another med, an anti-nausea drug if this doesnt get cleared up.

But mine is very experienced and went to a prestigious school. Hes not an average psychiatrist in my opinion.

My therapist really gets me. Im going to see him today, I have been having a nervous breakdown lately. I managed to cry a lot yesterday then go lift at a gym I had never been to before but like I said, I am so anxious that I am gagging right when I wake up and until my medicine gets in my bloodstream, which takes a good hour after I take it with food.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t call them ‘quacks,’ but I do think that a lot of well-meaning and educated psychiatrists don’t understand psychosis because they have never experienced it, and don’t understand the mental effects of antipsychotics because they have never taken them over a long time-period.

One suggestion for anyone who may be influential in the medical community who may read this: A school might have a physician assistant program that gives preference to those who have had a prolonged psychotic episode, and were treated for it, in the PAST, before the program began (that would hopefully avoid people feigning episodes to get into the program). Hopefully, that would not violate laws about discrimination. Schools get away with admitting people because their parents went there, right? Anyway, that should at least get a few more practitioners into the field who actually understand psychosis and the effects of antipsychotics, even if they are supervised by a full-fledged MD. Why just physician assistants? My guess is that people who are afflicted by psychosis may have that psychosis aggravated by the stress of 80 hour workweeks required by a ‘residency’ requirement, or, on the other end of the scale, the stressful career required by one who becomes a nurse practitioner.

Just a random thought. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

who does really?

Even I don’t pretend to know what it is and I’ve been living with it for years!

But yes even the word psychiatrist makes me uncomfortable…I still give them a chance but have had so many bad experiences, so many misunderstandings, so many false memories involving them…it’s hard to remain neutral.

I mean it was these medical professionals who prescribed me a daily regimen of amphetamines at the age of seven simply because I didn’t like school. Oh it didn’t end there…ugh. Tried a nurse practitioner and found her just as bad…I don’t know what to tell ya.

the ones who refuse to see the spiritual side of things and use a secular or atheistic approach know next to nothing. Even those who accept spirituality may admit the medical profession doesnt really know what causes SZ in most cases unless there is an obvious physical reason that can be measured…but that is usually not the case.
I have met 2 counselors in my life who understood the spiritual aspect themselves so we could talk more freely. they were both very spiritual …one a Christian with Native spiritual beliefs as I, and the other new age and would get into Wiccan and Buddhist practices and all sort of meditation…I mean she was in a secular clinic but had incense and candles burning in her office and a crystal ball, faerie statues, a Buddha and all kind of spiritual and metaphysical books on her shelves. she was cool…She used to confide in me sometimes about her relationship issues, and what she should do about some of her other clients who just weren’t showing any progress…LOL, for real…

i love the word ‘‘schizophrenia’’ makes me wonder

I like my current psychiatrist she actually works for a living and cares about her patients welfare - she knows a lot about mental illnesses and meds, on the other hand, many therapists do not know enough about schizophrenia or bipolar - I think that it also depends who you see, they are all different. In the past I had some rough experiences with some doctors. Its one big crapshoot

1 Like

My current clinical nurse really gets it. She explained to me in laymen terms how antipsychotics work. She is against medicines like benzos. She has been trying to get me down to one antipsychotic but her last attempt didn’t go well. But she swore she would help me.

But I’m sure Karl knows more.

For me a greater problem re psychiatrists/psychologists understanding and empathising with the effects of SMI like schizophrenia, especially the economic and social effects, is their often privileged economic and social status.

It’s talk therapy. They can’t read minds. They mainly go by what you tell them. Part of their job is to be the one that’s facing reality and to try to get you there too. They know the difference between delusions and reality. Cancer is not fully understood either. Doctors are just humans who want to help people, so they pick a field, go to school for years, work as interns, and use what they learned AND learn as they go along. I’m not saying there aren’t bad doctors out there because there are some. But most are doing the best they can. Don’t expect your psychiatrist to cure you and solve every one of your problems and make your life and everything in it perfect. It’s impossible and you will be sorely disappointed. But expect a good listener who can solve SOME of your problems, give you support and occasionally offer advice and lend a sympathetic ear. Most of my psychiatrists have been like this.

1 Like

I am calling it thought disorder:}

I agree. I don’t think many p.docs understand schizophrenia at all. In fact unless you live with it or someone in your immediate family DAY TO DAY I don’t honestly think it is humanly possible to" get it" at all. Freud (who i now hate for this very reason) refused to “see” SZ patients because they were too “troublesome and difficult” - another way of saying he did not understand them.

I think the very name is wrong. It’s way too huge an umbrella. I think it should be removed and replaced with more individual and case by case diagnostic terms. So easy for a doc to wipe a big paintbrush over someone with this diagnosis and then sit back and feel accomplished,sorry to sound mean- there are many, many awesome p.docs out there. Unfortunately, many more that are not IMO.

1 Like

Did you take any medicines while seeing these counselors?

I like the Spanish word - eschizophreenia - or something like that.