Psychiatric patients significantly more likely to be perpetrators ( and victims ) of violence

Although violence perpetrated by people with mental disorders accounts for only a small proportion of violent incidents, to the extent that the frequency of such events can be diminished, people with the potential to be targeted by violence and incipient perpetrators will benefit

the narcissists, psychopaths and pedos skew the results these are all psychiatry disorders

1 Like

They’re probably saying the same thing about schizophrenics ! :joy:

I think if you remove substance abuse the results are different. With substance abuse and mi it can get dangerous

2 Likes

I was dangerous before I was on meds.

But my voices told me, “don’t do anything, we’ll get through this.”

No s*it. I could very well be locked in prison right now for the rest of my life.

I attribute my freedom to ‘dumb luck’.

The thoughts could have easily gone the other way… this wasn’t a ‘but you made the right decision’ thing’.

Dumb luck I tell you.

3 Likes

I did a quick scan and the study doesn’t seem to control for drug use. It measured it but doesn’t control for it. I might be wrong since I didn’t read it closely, but if that’s the case, this doesn’t really contribute much to what we already know about violent offending and schizophrenia. Previous meta-analyses have shown that the increased violent offending associated with schizophrenia is mainly due to comorbid drug use.

3 Likes

While I was having my psychotic breakdown there was a gal accross town going through the same thing.

She ended up killing her 7 year old son and some girl she babysat for.

Where I live the ‘shadow people’ defense doesn’t hold up in court. She got life.

Also, like me, she was thrown into psychosis by the death of her father.

I feel bad for this lady…

1 Like

Everyday in my news feed I get stories like that.

1 Like

Oh no… thats doesnt make us look good.

The study doesnt mention schizophrenics specifically. The hospital pamphlets or other online stuff i read in the past said that only a small rare % of schizos are dangerous and most are likely to be victims. I was never dangerous myself so im puzzled. I think alot of schizos need compassion but oh well.

Ive known 3 schizophrenics and they were in mental agony. They werent dangerous though.

1 Like

By the way i like to add that even schizos who went untreated and acted as a danger to self and others deserve understanding for their inner turmoil. They deserve patience and humane treatment.

1 Like