Posted on facebook dedicating my thanks to the vetrerans in my family and didn't mention my father

of all days to drop the ball about my dad…I mentioned his dad as a p.o.w. in ww2. I thought you couldn’t be called a veteran unless you were engaged in overseas wars…? anyways, that’s why I didn’t mention my dad and on the post my dad said, “what about your dad?” omg I could just die I am so upset at myself…my dad is now deaf since he got covid and I think of him every day…what do I do to make things better???

1 Like

Memorial Day is for those servicemen and women who have died in the service of this country.

Veteran’s Day is for all living servicemen and women.

Anybody who has served in the military and has been discharged is a veteran, regardless of overseas service.

Hope this helps. Not sure how much of this you knew from reading your post - it’s kind of jumbled.

1 Like

yes, thank you…huh, I wonder why dad thought…oh I just mentioned my brothers and my grandpa who was a p.o.w. in ww2. got it half right…

If none of them died in service, they don’t have to be mentioned.

1 Like

My grandfather was a medic in WW2. He died of a heart attack when my dad was 17 so I never met him. My grandmother gave me some German currency from the time period that he brought back. He saw some crazy sh*t and never wanted to speak about it. That’s my only family connection to war that I know of. I wish I would have known him, I’ve only heard some stories.

1 Like

Hey, you made an honest mistake. I didn’t know that anyone who served in the armed forces is considered a veteran either until about maybe 6 or 7 years ago. My dad was in Korea by the way.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.