Schizophrenia.com

Portrait Painting Done This Morning

Whatever suits you the best. You know, my dad and I sometimes talk about how my grandpa would’ve been more successful if he was a art teacher; his brother actually did that. Maybe something to consider.

3 Likes

I’d say you’re pretty darn good. To be able to paint like that with water colors is amazing

2 Likes

@anon83141956 I was about to say something about smoothing the hard water lines, but I think they are indicative of your style and they lend a lot of motion to the piece, so don’t change that. The only thing for you to look at twice (maybe) is the shoulder on the left side of the first one. It doesn’t quite match where her body would be. Maybe raise it a little? It makes the neck look just slightly awkward. It’s almost unnoticeable, but it caught my eye. I think it’s a fantastic piece, though. It reminds me of some ink drawings I’ve seen. Great control of shadows! Did you work wet on wet, or was this a dry page?
Is watercolour your primary medium?

1 Like

oh very nice =O
I like it

2 Likes

Hey thanks so much for the suggestions!

Yes I mainly use watercolour. Otherwise just pencil. I’m beginning to only use one colour for now too as it is so much easier for me.

Yea I wanna try softening lines experimentally but idk how…

It’s wet on dry.

Do you use watercolour?

Btw I do defo find that the jawline outline on the right side of her is way too hard water line if u see what I mean there. Only noticed it once I posted this.

1 Like

Congratulations.:sunrise_over_mountains:

1 Like

Thankyou very much Dustypages

1 Like

Wonderful Wonderful Wonderful. You simply are the best. :smiley::smiley::smiley:

2 Likes

Haha aw idk how to respond.

Thanks for the positivity GrayBear

1 Like

@anon83141956 wow. Beautiful.

1 Like

Thankyou Kxev I appreciate it.

Absolutely beautiful!

1 Like

Thanks Spiderpig!

1 Like

@anon83141956 Yes, I use watercolour, ink, pencil, charcoal, pastels, and gauche. Watercolour is my favorite medium, though. I want to get into screen printing, but that’s neither here nor there.

To soften the hard water lines, there are two ways. While your painting is still wet, you can “pull out” the pigment in the direction away from the shadow, and use more water until it fades properly to white.

After it’s dry (and I mean truly and completely dry), wet your brush, then squeeze the water out until it’s damp. Scrub gently and then blot the area with a tissue. Let it dry again, same repeat until its effectively blended into the next area. That’s called “lifting.”

(And I do mean GENTLY. You don’t want to tear the paper.)

1 Like

You use a lot of mediums feel free to create threads some time of your art if you’d like.

I saw your pen drawings and they are beautiful.

Ah yes those techniques you mention do ring a bell from when I used to watch youtube how tos!

1 Like